STRANGE WEATHER opens doors

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:21 pm

How do you guys like the HSU sub?

I've been singing their praises for almost four years now.

I've still yet to see them in any environment other than my own home.. whether commercial, or residential.

I had the STF-2. Amazing how tight, accurate, and kickass it is.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm totally loving the HSU sub. But to be honest, it's a sub. The beat ass old $75 JBL we have at Studio G does a fantastic job too. All I know is that it makes the 4412's sound huge on the couch, and it's been pretty helpful in getting a good grip on blooming kick drum or bass effects.

I'm not totally convinced that the brand of the sub is a huge difference but the HSU was cheap as HELL for the quality of its build. It's like a small black tank.

Come over and check it out in the studio.

-marc alan

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:43 pm

update 12-08 :

Hello fellow engineers and audio champions,

Some news on the Strangeweather studio front:

1. EMT140 tube, stereo plate reverb moved in today by piano movers. It will be set up tomorrow professionally, hopefully with the remote set up soon after that.

2. The API 1608 we have right now will be growing to the full 32 channels in January!!! That means 40 returns at mix!!! 32 API 312 mic pre's!!! A combination of purple ODD eq's and API 550 and 560's will give you options, and with 4 pultec's to patch to and a couple of auditronics EQ's, you will be fine for EQ... I promise. Totally excited about the full 40 channels of return. Sonic circus is taking care of us here. Tell them we sent you!!! API really has made an incredible console with this thing.

3. To get the most from our 40 channels of returns, we have hooked up another 8 outputs of apogee conversion, to get a full 32 I/O at this point.

4. February 15-28 is still open, but emails are rolling in very steadily at the ridiculous day rate of only $400 dollars a day for ALL of this amazing stuff. Email me if you want some of th action, because this place is not going to stay empty at $400 a day!!! http://www.strangeweatherbrooklyn.com/ for full gear list.

5. We will be making the place more comfortable over the new year and in early January, as we now have games and TV in the lounge area, wireless internet, and great places to eat within a couple of blocks. Pictures coming soon.

6. Email me about time, Y'all!!!!

7. Oh, and the mics living at Strangeweather are classic Neumann choices: U47, M269, M49, CMV563.. etc...etc...

Thats the holiday news from Strangeweather studio in Brooklyn!!!! Happy holidays.

When we get some other crazy new stuff in '09. you will be hearing from me again with dates and discount rate blocks to be announced..... Email me!!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Dave Watkins wrote:that front page makes me want to book time
totally.. I now add another reason why i need to get back to NYC for some fun.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Do tell - what is a "Joelfinger" compressor? ("Banks" is an impossible search term under Google)

Congrats!
Leigh

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:43 pm

leigh wrote:Do tell - what is a "Joelfinger" compressor? ("Banks" is an impossible search term under Google)

Congrats!
Leigh
lol... It is a custom, 2 channel compressor based on EH white finger pedals, but with edcor transformers in and out, and racked up with switches for the light source, and we even kept the footswitch buttons, but on the face of the unit, as a true bypass of the compressor pedal electronics, but not the transformers. The cheapo xformers were specificlally chosen for their incredibly low saturation point, and weirdo flavor tone when getting smacked on the output.
I used this thing all over the ammitheads record, if David would like to chime in about it. It really does something amazing to overly cymbal heavy room mics, that I love.. even without the compression "on."
Brad Banks is the guys name that made the box for me. He is an electrical engineer and a friend of mine. he is very talented. Its too bad he has a "real" job, so he cant just make cool fun toys for us all to mess with! ;)
Come check the thing out for yourselves at strangeweather!!!
There is a banks LA2A there as well, that is just really great.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Yip, the one and only Mr. Bradley Banks is now the official house tech at SW (when he has the time). He's been keeping me in switches and capacitors for a while but now he's officially on the team. Expect to see more of his gear popping up on our list as he develops it. The guy is an evil genius.

-marc alan goodman

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:32 am

An API, working top tier gear and good monitoring for $40-50/hr assuming a 10 hr day is charity.

What you guys are doing is not business, it's philanthropy!

If only I ever did stuff in brooklyn...
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:04 am

rwc wrote:An API, working top tier gear and good monitoring for $40-50/hr assuming a 10 hr day is charity.

What you guys are doing is not business, it's philanthropy!

If only I ever did stuff in brooklyn...
It might be worth the $4 round trip on the J train straight from downtown to our door. :)
just over the williamsburg bridge on the JMZ, and you are there. !!

There is also an hourly hotel next door, with some ladies of ill repute always hanging around, if you need somewhere to stay....;)

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:12 pm

And apparently we have an in house dominatrix. Dig it

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:13 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
There is also an hourly hotel next door, with some ladies of ill repute always hanging around, if you need somewhere to stay....;)
*checks Jet Blue's True Blue Points* 0, damn. That's a package deal i'd be into! Throw in some saxophone overdubs.

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:16 pm

trodden wrote: ... saxophone overdubs.
ummmm WOW :shock:

thats some innuendo i'm gonna keep fo-evah...
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:11 pm

iC wrote:
trodden wrote: ... saxophone overdubs.
ummmm WOW :shock:

thats some innuendo i'm gonna keep fo-evah...
I got fresh water in the glass sax, you wanna over dub first?

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:14 pm

i was there on tuesday! (with jeff and ian from philly) amazing place. every piece of gear is top-notch.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:41 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:i was there on tuesday! (with jeff and ian from philly) amazing place. every piece of gear is top-notch.
Did you stay at the hotel next door? Its just after the knish place. no joke. So great... like a cartoon of how NYC used to be:
knishes and handjobs....