RPM CHALLENGE 2009

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

RPM CHALLENGE 2009

Post by DryCounty » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 am

http://www.rpmchallenge.com/

Okay, so we're in. Sorry to hijack the 2008 thread but I thought it might be better to start a new thread for this year.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:41 am

*is also stoked for this*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:29 am

I've wanted to participate for the past two years, but I was actually crashing with my folks while I was looking for a house of my own. I wanted to have more space to work, be able to work into the night late, early in the morning, etc.

Purchased in September, so I've been waiting for RPM 2009 since then.

I've been 98% engineering only for the past 3 years, so this will be the first time I've really had a chance to work on my own music. Decided to take February off from refinishing the house to have all of my free-time to devote to RPM 2009.

I'm interested in stories from any of you who have participated before. Mostly I am interested in stories about the daily work flow while balancing a day gig, and how you organized your sessions. Did you move from song to song, completing one at a time, or did you just record stream of conscience and jump around between songs throughout the month?

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:54 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Decided to take February off from refinishing the house to have all of my free-time to devote to RPM 2009.

Jeff
Wow, you've got ambition, Jeff kudos for that (even though I generally hate that word). All we're going to do is 4 full Sundays and the occasional Wednesday or two for mixing. Hoping to get it all done with that limited time, that's all we've got together. I can take extra time for mixing but tracking is going to be the real hard thing for us to concentrate on as the rest of our gang all have "normal" day gigs.

I'd love to hear from others re: workflow as well. We're going to have a meeting after our next practice to chart things out.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Brilliant! this might be just what i need right now.

Does this mean there is going to be a new Tulsa Drone album? if so, than all the better...

*agrees whole heartedly about being stoked about this*
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:20 pm

In. Although: I will not allow myself to sign up until I have this TOMB high school thing released into the wild.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:34 pm

DryCounty wrote:
Wow, you've got ambition, Jeff kudos for that (even though I generally hate that word).
Still working the day gig, but right now I am working from home. I'm just not going to be, say, plastering walls and painting bedrooms in February. And my gf is going to help out recording, though she is not a musician. Just the two of us spending a lot of time letting the clock run out on February and hopefully getting my first complete solo record done. I haven't recorded anything of my own in a few years. Just been concentrating on other bands' work.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:00 pm

I am bumping this in order to (1) get it above the 2008 thread and (2) procrastinate a bit more about the forthcoming compilation that I am supposed to be finishing.

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Put me down for 1. my writing is terrible but who gives a fuck.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:59 pm

i intend to do much phase shifter lap steel and acoustic guitar and warbly monosynth with nonsensical singing...a modern classic to come!

i wish.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:24 pm

I'm trying to convince the two bands I work with to do their next album in Feb. One of em was going to start Saturday, but I think they'll be persuaded.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:51 am

i think a few of my friends and i will be doing this... i'm very psyched!

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

I did it in 2007

Post by supafuzz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:00 am

I submitted a work in 2007 and here's my experience.
I was on a creative roll working on new material for my 3rd solo cd [still working on it] I figured I was hot and this would just flow. Well, what happened is the challenge material got completed and I lost my flow for my original stuff. It took me a really long time to get it going again. I got busy in the studio with engineering and producing for my clients so my music got the back seat. Not to say the RPM challenge is a bad thing..it was more of a bad timing thing for me as I learned that I can't split myself creatively.My writing has a direct connection to my emotional and psychic state...unfortunately I disrupted that for the challenge. Lesson learned. I would do it again if I was between projects and felt in a rut. It's a brilliant way to get your creativity going and is similar to exercises where the outcome is not as important as the doing.
I'm just now finishing the songs I was working on before I got interrupted...
have fun make music do the RPM challenge its a good thin in most cases
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

I did it in 2007

Post by supafuzz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:03 am

I submitted a work in 2007 and here's my experience.
I was on a creative roll working on new material for my 3rd solo cd [still working on it] I figured I was hot and this would just flow. Well, what happened is the challenge material got completed and I lost my flow for my original stuff. It took me a really long time to get it going again. I got busy in the studio with engineering and producing for my clients so my music got the back seat. Not to say the RPM challenge is a bad thing..it was more of a bad timing thing for me as I learned that I can't split myself creatively.My writing has a direct connection to my emotional and psychic state...unfortunately I disrupted that for the challenge. Lesson learned. I would do it again if I was between projects and felt in a rut. It's a brilliant way to get your creativity going and is similar to exercises where the outcome is not as important as the doing.
I'm just now finishing the songs I was working on before I got interrupted...
have fun make music do the RPM challenge its a good thing in most cases.
http://www.rpmchallenge.com/component/o ... alleryTab/

Take a listen I worked with the amazingly talented Emory Joseph.
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 pm

RefD wrote:i intend to do much phase shifter lap steel and acoustic guitar and warbly monosynth with nonsensical singing...a modern classic to come!

i wish.
Awesome! On our 2008 RPM, I put flanged pre-verbed lap steel on one of the songs. And shortwave radio foreign language on another one.