RICHMOND VA TapeOp folks? beer night or some such nonsense?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Sun May 02, 2010 12:44 pm

yeah Derek we need to put a proper meet together, it's been too long. i have been far to busy most of the time. but i'm gonna check out my calendar and see what i can do in maybe may or june.

keep your eyes peeled!
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

Post by norsehorse » Thu May 27, 2010 2:58 pm

SPOTTED ON CRAIGSLIST:

Hey there, Brad Kutner here.
I am Board Operator Manager here at WRIR 97.3 LP-FM, Richmond?s Independent Radio.
I am in need of some volunteer board operators.
The gig is fairly simple, though it requires a regular commitment, timeliness, and great communication skills.
Training last anywhere from a week to a month depending on your availability.
INTERNSHIPS AVAILABLE!

The shifts I need right now are:
Tuesday ? 10am-2pm ? 2 people
Weds ? 8am-10am
Thursday ? 2pm-5pm
Friday 8am-10am
10am-2pm ? 2 people

Below is a deeper description. I look forward to hearing from all of you!

WEEKDAY BOARD OPERATOR
If you are regularly available during the weekdays and want to learn broadcast engineering (but without the challenge of preparing a weekly show), you can volunteer as a Board Operator. Weekday Board Operators guide the listener through the day's news programs. You gain experience talking on the mic, working the sound board and managing live and satellite broadcasts. This is an excellent opportunity to learn on-air techniques and sound engineering.

Current open shifts are: Wednesday 8-10a, Thursday 2-5p, Friday 8-10a, Friday 10-2p

SKILLS: able to multi-task without being easily flustered, good speaking voice, can read well, comfortable working with computers and audio equipment, reliable and dependable
TRAINING: you will train with an experienced WRIR board operator for a few hours over 2-3 weeks
TIME: you must be available to take a shift one day a week. Shifts are: 8-10a,10a-2p,2-5p. You can not split shifts. You must volunteer during these times. Some board ops volunteer each week, others are on air every other week while some just volunteer as a substitute.
TO APPLY: bradkutner@gmail.com for information on available shifts.

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

Williamsburg SoundNerds Gathering

Post by norsehorse » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm going for half-off burgers on Monday at the Green Leafe with a few other audio enthusiasts. It's right across from the College in Williamsburg, and I'd love to see you there.

Monday, August 2 - 5:30pm
"Downtown" Green Leafe
765 Scotland Street
Williamsburg, VA 23185

This is a good chance to hang out with other audio, music, and media techies before the school year kicks in. Come say hi, meet some new folks, grab a beer and a burger (half-off!), swap war stories (I'll tell you about my car break in), and brag or complain about your recent projects.

Hope to see you there! Thanks! -----

PS. Did you catch Todd's newsletter? There is a nice interview with Williamsburg audiologist Dr. Jude Liptak. I worked with Dr. Liptak two years ago to get my ears molded for Etymotic earplugs, and he was great to deal with. If you don't already have a reliable form of hearing protection, make it a priority. http://www.soundnerds.com/current/
PPS. If you get RECORDING (magazine), be sure to check out the last page of the July edition for Scott Dorsey's contribution: IC Replacement: Plug-And-Play Audio Improvement

ghostwriter
studio intern

just checking in...

Post by ghostwriter » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:55 am

what's been going on with everybody? any new projects you've been working on? anyone want to meet up for a beer and discuss and listen to what we've been working on?

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 am

Hey man, yeah i keep saying i need to organize something, it's been too long. but my schedule has been insanely packed, i'm sure you all can identify...

but hey if anyone is about town tonight i'll be hanging out for first fridays in the courtyard at 304 north adams, which is just off broad street downtown.

i'll be sorta kinda running sound and will be doing a little improvised dulcitar + ukulele + electronics set with my buddy Matt Klimas to close the night. stop by and say hello. should run between 7 and 10:30 with my set at 9:45. and its free! (and byob if you are so inclined)

also if anyone wants to chime in a suggest a meetup day/night for the future that would be great to. i'm definitely down for hanging out, i should be at my studio space all weekend catching up on things if anybody wants to do a spur of the moment friday or saturday beer night i'd be totally down. let me know!
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

ghostwriter
studio intern

Post by ghostwriter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:43 am

just bumping this to the top. i'm back in town for a while and just wanted to see if any tape op'ers were interested in grabbing a beer and talking shop? i hope that everyone had a great holiday.
"Autotune says it's E sharp....I know, I know."

www.richstine.com (producer site)
www.richstine.me (musician site)
twitter: @rich_stine

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

Not quite Richmond, but...

Post by norsehorse » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Half-off burgers at the Crystal City Sports Pub outside DC on Monday at Noon. Third floor!