RICHMOND VA TapeOp folks? beer night or some such nonsense?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Also got in touch with Bryan Hoffa from sound of music, who is also down for future meets, but is tied up this weekend.

So damn, within one week, a lot of awesome folks have turned up. once again, i'm stoked.

everyone still on board for saturday at 9-10ish?
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:34 pm

I'm aiming to be there around 9-9:30 gotta do an art thing first.
Last edited by DryCounty on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:09 am

Yeah, still in! 9:30 or 10
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:23 pm

greatness, see you guys later.

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:30 pm

I had awesome tome tonite! Thanks again to Dave for hosting! I was great to meet some new folks in richmond fighting the good fight!

All the best! we need to start working on next month!

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:18 pm

My pleasure, thanks to everyone for showing up and making it a good time. I look forward to the next one. until then, keep up the making of awesome recordings. :D

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks Dave, was a great time! That dulcitar amazed me!

Next month I'd love to host, but I'm afraid I might be knee-deep in recording or mixing as we're doing the RPM Challenge thing.

Could always aim for a first weekend in March thing?
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:00 am

Yeah - thanks again Dave. It was super fun and I could see it being a nice regular thing. Allen and Chris -- great to meet you too.

BTW -- That Neve conole in buy/sell/trade in Pitt. is on ebay -- only $15,500 now http://cgi.ebay.com/Neve-8108-Console-1 ... 1|294%3A50

So that would only be only like $3100 a piece. And a fun road trip. Who's in?
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:25 pm

llmonty wrote: So that would only be only like $3100 a piece. And a fun road trip. Who's in?
oh man. if i only had $3100 just lying around... i would be all about it. though i would have to have one of the rest of you engineer, and i would just be the dude with slightly odd folk instruments that hangs around. i've been punching away with my firewire interfaces for so long now that i don't even know what i would do with a console. probably just sit and stare at it. :shock:

and Erik, feb is already a crazy month for me and i think i'm going to do the RPM challenge on top of that. i think i am going to focus on getting a really great and interesting drums sound with what i have and do a whole bunch of stuff with the dulcitar, as i have been meaning to really do some more recordings that showcase it.

so the beginning of march would be awesome, we could do listening party type thing, and see what the month of february turned up, and it will be great to hear how your songs are continuing to progress Adam, as they already sound great.

oh and don't be shy if any of you would like one my funky rooms to make a lot of noise in the middle of the night, or one of my slightly odd folk instruments.

we'll play it by ear. catch you all later.

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Curse you Adam for posting that! But, wow the master section looks like a speak and spell. I want it!

Really enjoyed getting together too. Lookin' forward to the next one. -Chris
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:43 am

I so miss Richmond, like in a bad way.

... back to my hole (which isn't in richmond anymore)
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:48 pm

hey everyone! figured i'd let you know about a little show i'm playing next week:

so on wednesday the 18th of feb, i'll be at marshal st cafe (23 w marshall st) in jackson ward playing some tunes. I've done a whole bunch of shows there before and they are always a blast. i usually end up playing for a total of two to three hours on and off depending on how the crowd is. it's a nice laid back atmosphere and my music ends up running the fine line between background music and "holy shit what the fuck is he doing to that weird instrument?". lots of improvisation, some looping, soundscapey stuff, and even some written songs, and maybe some madness with projections.

so if any of you aren't doing anything (or even if you are) that night you should head over, and bring friends too. they have great food (the best bread pudding in the world) , a good amount of alcohol available, and it's all priced well. and plus there is no cover charge, the show is free. i'll be there at 8, so by concert standards i will start playing around 9. and will definitely be playing mostly between the hours of 9 and 11, so if you want to show up later chances are i will still be making some noise, and will be slightly drunk and jumping off chairs whilst playing some dulcietar. otherwise, i will catch y'all later. take care.

-dave

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:45 pm

just bumping that there show as it is tonight. come out if you can!

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:26 am

When is our next hang? it's about that time! I expect adam has some new stuff to show us! and dave and eric should have entire albums from the RPM challenge! I dont have a whole lot to show for my month besides moving into a new space, well, halfway in... Still moving stuff. Old studio is being torn down as we speak!

I may be able to host at SOM, but not sure yet.

Who's in?

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:54 pm

you know i'm down! i did indeed finish a record for the challenge despite crazy time constraints but i'm gonna continue working on it, and some of the songs i wrote in the process, but haven't recorded, but what i've got so far is pretty interesting. swing by the rpm challenge thread for more details if you like.

march is busy as hell for me, i've got more ballet touring, and then a show here at the studio that i'm doing a projection design for. so hours and hours of video editing are on my plate.

this saturday and sunday nights are good.
9 or 10ish onward on the 13th 14th or whenever on the 15th.
and i could host again on those dates if all else fails.

the weekends of the 20th and the 27th are probably out for me as have that big ridiculous sound/projection heavy show in rehearsal and in performance. but if some one else hosts i will definitely try and show up after whatever i'm doing. as i will need a drink and good company/discussion afterward.