Strings In Cincinnati

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Strings In Cincinnati

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:23 am

I'm looking for reasonably competent string players in the Cincinnati area. In particular, I need folks who can read charts.
Thanks!
Prog out with your cog out.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:08 pm

Sorry, I don't have any direct recommendations, but have you tried going to your local conservatory, like THIS ONE and posting some signs around on whatever message boards are around? Music schools seem to be a good place to get at least competent sight-reading players for at least possibly a decent price. Just an idea...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:29 pm

That was the first place I thought of (CCM happens to be my alma mater). A friend of mine is putting on a show with David Amram. I'm recording the show for her, but she's turned to me because she's been having problems coming up with personnel. The conservatory has been a big letdown. Its hard for me to imagine the string department being more mercenary than the jazz department, but that seems to be the case.

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:57 pm

There is a guy in Cincinnati named Daren Fuster, he has a service called Pro Art. He provides strings and other things.

Here is his web address-

www.proartmusic.com
I don't know karate but I know ka-razy!

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:57 pm

That's surprising, and sucky... :(

I know a beatboxer out there and some folks in the avant gard jazz scene, but that's it. sorry. Good luck.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks!

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:13 pm

That does suck about her getting no love from the CCM people.

In the Cinci rock scene, people always help other bands out, usually for no money. Maybe it is because us rock guys didn't spend all of those years becoming actual accomplished musicians!

PC

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:25 pm

A lot of folks were in the jazz department with me were working paid gigs in college. But they usually were still down to do something if it was cool and it wasn't on a work night. Its the violin guy who turned Jane down because the money wasn't right that irked me. Guy's in school and can't play with David Amram on a Tuesday? With 1 rehearsal? Why not drop out and get a freakin MBA.

I did my first few months with Shag for free. That lead to touring that band and working with Bootsy (and subsequently Bernie Worrel and Fred Wesley). Totally worth it.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:16 pm

Mr PC wrote:There is a guy in Cincinnati named Daren Fuster, he has a service called Pro Art. He provides strings and other things.

Here is his web address-

www.proartmusic.com
Nothing personal but that is one old-ass website. If anybody out there knows this dude maybe break it to him that he needs to spend about 1/2 hour with NVU to bring his site out of the Windows 95 age.

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:10 am

Perhaps he is just so gosh darn busy finding string players for all occasions.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:12 am

I hate to be the big downer, but I just can't be into someone complaining about people not wanting to do stuff for free.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:59 am

I can't get into you not getting into things.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:16 am

Awesome.

CG

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:31 pm

cgarges wrote:I hate to be the big downer, but I just can't be into someone complaining about people not wanting to do stuff for free.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I understand that. Time is money, these people are honing their talents in the hope that they may make a living at it, and their efforts have value.

Coming from the indie-rock background, I don't often associate making money doing music! Sounds like a nice idea. Free beer is another matter...

PC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Mr PC wrote:Coming from the indie-rock background, I don't often associate making money doing music!
Well, the first step in doing so is actually doing so. It's amazing how many people I talk to say stuff like, "Man, I'd love to make money playing music." Well, that's what I thought, too, so I made sure to ask the ever so important question, "How much?" It's one thing to be totally mercenary about everything all the time, but it's another thing to never talk about money. That's a quick road to making sure you don't get paid for doing the work.

If you have enthusiasm for something enough to support it by donating a couple hundred dollars to it (or whatever your time is worth on a professional scale), then cool. Go for it. I've certainly done my share of that kind of thing and I'm generally a big supporter of it. On the other hand there's absolutely nothing wrong with not doing something because the money isn't there. Nothing at all. Especially not if you want to do this for a living.

Sorry for the hijack.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC