Going to Las Vegas next week, need advice!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

bradb
pushin' record

Going to Las Vegas next week, need advice!

Post by bradb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:43 am

Hey guys,

Another work trip: I'm going to Las Vegas, NV next week for work. I'll have a hotel near the convention center and I'm gonna stick around Saturday to check the city out.

I will have a rental car for the part of the time, but would like to check things out via transit if possible.

What i'm looking for are cool music gear shops but also where a cool 20s-30s year old couple with kids would possibly live. I don't want to just get the "inside the punk rock club" tour of LV, but I really want to understand what its like to live there. (I spend the absolute minimum time here in NYC in nasty clubs).

Another thing i'd be really into is GOOD local cuisine and local beer on TAP!

Is there a good website to check out that documents hip stuff to do and eat in LV?

Any advice?

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:23 pm

How appropriate that no one replied.......

Its my last day in vegas and I dont get this town... its a gross disney land for horrible adults. cheap food, cheap drink and promises of easy money. I tried to seek out the old school vegas and ate at several restaurants (at the bar because I'm alone). The conversation among the locals was the nuttiest conservative batshit. One guy had a camo beret, btw.

This couple was certain that if you voted for bob barr or ron paul "you were now on a terrorist watch list"

um, how does uncle sam tie a ballot to a name? willful ignorance. they needed to be on a fuckhead watch list

I was talking to a veteran about politics at the peppermill. he was ranting about pelosi and then he declared our conversation over (i don't antagonize, I just question, im amicable, i enjoy talking to people and getting their vibe) anyway, he turns away from me and finds a sympathetic ear and starts grousing about "socialized medicine".........dude.... youre a veteran, you survive on the VA.

one image sticks in my mind: There are pedestrian overpasses on the strip to keep human cattle out of traffic. These overpasses have escalators and stairs. I saw a line forming for the escalator while the stairs were EMPTY.

I was able to see some places where my favorite movie was shot... Fear and Loathing.....

Tyler
audio school graduate

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm in Vegas now; don't get me started. Me and my boyfriend; we can #&*$ up a bowl of why-Vegas-sucks. I'll be moving out soon (to Eugene, Oregon). I just hope I'm moving before I become a total ass. I hope the damage so far done is reversible.
bradb, don't get get any romantic notions of the public transit here.
I guess your visit is past (and I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier), but there are a few good venues and shops, like The Beauty Bar (though I haven't quite forgiven them for what they did to Xiu Xiu) and Pat's Desert Music.
It wouldn't be too hard to find a place that is close to a grocery, some mexican or chinese produce markets, and your pick of one restaurant, venue or a music store, but it would be hard to find one "happening" place.
I'm sure James H Kunstler has night terrors about Vegas; it is all suburban sprawl-- there is no commons. Most places require a car/three hour bus/hazardous bike ride to get to-- huge areas are walled off and the city streets are lined by cement block walls. The effect is made all the more trepidatious by the curvature of the valley-- it make the whole city curve around you like a padded room.
My boyfriend works at a Border's Bookstore. He can go all day about the people who consume here. I like to sneak up on him while he's at work and ask him in various voices "Do you have 'The Secret'?"
...but it's Friday night, I have a new (to me) toy drumset, a phone handset-turned-stereo mic, and a fifth of whiskey. I have good friends here and I'm learning a little every day what I don't want to be. It's like what Wayne Henderson said about luthiery: just take a block of wood and carve out everything that doesn't look like a guitar.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:16 am

get out while you can!

;)