Hello PORTLAND. Help me!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:05 pm

That is also very good news. Thank you.
Harumph!

salt
audio school

Post by salt » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:03 pm

Okay. so, some things that you should know about portland.

- anything east of 82nd ave, in my opinion, is somewhat of a 'red zone'. 82nd is notorious for its filth and crime, and it doesnt get much better the further east you get. there is a reason that its commonly referred to as 'felony flats'. gresham. rockwood. gateway. i would pass on. even if its a great deal.

-inner downtown can also be somewhat troublesome, the closer to the waterfront the worse it is. i saw a guy getting beat with what i believe to be a lead pipe on W 3rd and Burnside. NW 4th and davis (basically chinatown) is always an experience. I have a buddy of mine who was attacked by a dude swinging a road cone around at him because he didnt have change, i mean, he just pushed the dude over and walked off, but still.

-anywhere around Lloyd Center is "iffy". there are some really nice places over there, but a lot of homeless people hang out down there and sometime will try to cause trouble for you. most of them are harmless, but still..

-like others said, north is.. well.. its getting better.. but, still not a great spot by any means. i lived right off mississippi for a little bit. a lot of different mixes of people on that street. but my biggest qualm with living in that neighborhood was that there wasnt a grocery store anywhere near by, only the "NU-RITE WAY". anywhere along MLK is pretty much a no-no. saint johns aint SO bad, lotta kids that go to the U up there. but its just way the fuck up there. even alberta, although it has its perks and charm to it, can be pretty harsh at times. i mean, not for me, but im trying to sympathize here. :P

-a nice, quieter/chill residential neighborhood on the east side --although sometimes expensive-- would be, say, between division(ish) and prescott(ish) and 16th and 53rd ave's. not to say those are the ONLY areas of portland that are nice, and there are a few ugly patches in there, i suppose, but i feel like these are the more "safe" areas for someone with a family. there are some places like 70th(ish) in NE that are really nice as well. (70th and tillamook area, maybe. i ride my bike through that area a bit and just get lost when i want to relax)

-on the west side, as far as residential. its gotta be 23rd area. alphabet district. some really nice houses over there. lots of stuff around. i dont get to the west side, or at least that far over because, well.. i just dont have a need to.

currently i live on 53rd and burnside. its nice, pretty chill. havent had much trouble with anyone and ive been here for a few years. grocery stores are near by, providence hospital is in walking distance, there are two different schools (i believe) right down the road. close to the max. close to mt tabor / other parks.

ive moved around a bit since i got here in 05. been in gresham, been in mt tabor area, sullivans gulch, mississippi, and alberta arts. ive stayed on the east side and i love it over here. but im 24, make little money, have no wife or kids (thank god), ride my bike for transportation, and drink pabst at dive bars. so i fit in pretty well over here with the other indie clones.

dont know if any of that helps, but its what i got. let me know if you need more specifics on anything or have more questions.

try this website for more info as well.
http://www.portlandmaps.com/

hope you have a job lined up buddy!

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm

wait a minute.....that last comment sounded ominous...getting scared...to move now.

Just kiddin, I have six months to come up with a workable plan, mainly I need to get my kids educated well so they can take me on all the vacations I didn't get raising them.
That was a lot of info, thanks a HEAP! seriously! It'll take me a while to process that with mapquest, but, I'll hit it in the morning. I'm hoping my exceptional mixing skills will get me some customers. I don't need to make all the money, I just need to fed the kids and bank some for emergencies. That's maybe 3 days a week of work.

Some things have shifted this week and I may end up in LA now. It all depends on where I can work and keep my wife sane. Memphis crime has really taken a lot out of me and my family and it seems to be preparing to shut down for good.
I don't know anyone here who hasn't been affected by violent crime here. NYC was way better than Memphis. I might end up back there for a few years, if I can get my old job back, which I probably can.
Harumph!

salt
audio school

Post by salt » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:40 pm

well yeah, if you can get constant or decent work here, its a great city to live in.

i have a city job. but i almost never work. and in two years i went from having a fully operational studio, and enough instruments that phil collins could have came to my house and played a show without needing anything, to.. an acoustic guitar.. that i got for free... and glued back together..

jus' sayin..

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:26 pm

Ha, the first day I moved to Memphis and the first thing someone asked me when they knew I moved with my studio was "hey man, what you got to sell?"
He said, you'll sell it all in Memphis.
I knew right then this was a pawn shop culture full of shakedown artists and thieves. Sadly, so far, I'm right and I don't want to be right.
Harumph!

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Seriously, compared to nyc or memphis you should just ignore crime as a factor here. Larsony in some fancy neighborhoods you can't afford is really about it. http://portlandmaps.com can tell you a lot.

It's going to be hard to find many houses with your requirements in your price range. Prices aren't like new york but they're not quite Tennessee either. I blame californians. If you're handy, there's lots of fixers.

I'd keep it below 82nd on the east side. 82nd +/- 10 blocks isn't really family friendly - lots of families live just fine there but it's where a lot of our crime is centered. 100+ is fine but it's getting out there if you're looking to keep things close.

I'd focus on N and NE. Good houses, mostly great neighborhoods, reasonable prices. SW has some cozy family friendly neighborhoods too. It's generally a little newer and can leave you a little wanting for city conveniences. Lots of 50s and 60s houses out there though with nice big trees.

Will

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks, Will,
I noticed that the crime here is very in your face compared to even NYC. It has caused a LOT of problems in my life, your info is appreciated.
Harumph!

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:36 pm

sorry, I missed page two when I replied. I just wanna add to what Salt said. I wait for the bus at 4th and Davis every day (I work "close to the water") and never have an issue. ever. three+ years now. I've never even seen anything there. Occasional drug sale but that's about it. Don't let anyone fool you - if you've lived in any other major american city portland crime is bordering on cute.