Hello PORTLAND. Help me!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Brian
resurrected

Hello PORTLAND. Help me!

Post by Brian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:09 pm

Help me out Portland people, I'm moving there asap, which could be six months, and going to school. I need to know where the decent but not too pricey neighborhood is, I have kids, need a good doctor, a children's hospital, and abhor violence or drama.
My kids need a good public school.

Anybody know anything?
Harumph!

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:23 pm

I live in northeast(about 60th and fremont) the neighborhood is super chill, my house is about half the cost of similar houses in the "hip" areas. It is also not super far removed from downtown as its very close to some major streets. Hope that helps.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Kinda helps, someone PM'd me about the Northern most part, and I need a safe place for my kids, good public school and hopefully an easy path to work (Hospital) or school (Western Culinary). I was led to believe that there was NOTHING under $300k, after searching, I think there might be options, but, I don't want to end up in a neighborhood like Memphis.
Harumph!

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:52 pm

yeah, where I live is rather far away from what is considered "north portland" I am really close to the airport, overall portland is a rather safe city, well.. at least compared to a lot of places I have been.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:51 am

How is the are around SW 10th street between Jefferson and Burnside, that's where the school and the childrens hospital are all near?
Harumph!

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:30 am

Brian wrote:How is the are around SW 10th street between Jefferson and Burnside, that's where the school and the childrens hospital are all near?
Not much in the way of houses there... maybe some condos or something. It's pretty built up in that area, at least up towards Burnside. But I've been an east-sider my whole time in Portland, so what do I know! I think there is a more residential area more towards Jefferson, that's close to the neighborhood called Goose Hollow...

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:06 am

Have you considered Vancouver WA? (Not Vancouver, BC :D )

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:00 am

leigh wrote:
Brian wrote:How is the are around SW 10th street between Jefferson and Burnside, that's where the school and the childrens hospital are all near?
Not much in the way of houses there... maybe some condos or something. It's pretty built up in that area, at least up towards Burnside. But I've been an east-sider my whole time in Portland, so what do I know! I think there is a more residential area more towards Jefferson, that's close to the neighborhood called Goose Hollow...
The main thing I'm worried about after being in Memphis for so long and being a victim of the violent crime here is a safe neighborhood, somewhere near the aforementioned area, cuz, that's where I'll be going to school and I need to be able to get there on time and my wife will probably be working in that area since that's where the children's hospitals are.

So, where are the bad neighborhoods so I can avoid them?

Kayagum, what's in vancouver Washington?
Harumph!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:27 am

Portland has excellent mass transit (love their light rail), and since you seemed obsessed about safety and cheaper real estate, you should take advantage of that and find neighborhoods that are linked that way.

It's the modification of the "fast cheap good pick any two" mantra- in real estate, it's "safe, cheap, hip, pick any two".

BTW: SW 10th street between Jefferson and Burnside is on the southwest edge of downtown. Not really residential.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:46 am

kayagum wrote:Portland has excellent mass transit (love their light rail), and since you seemed obsessed about safety and cheaper real estate, you should take advantage of that and find neighborhoods that are linked that way.

It's the modification of the "fast cheap good pick any two" mantra- in real estate, it's "safe, cheap, hip, pick any two".

BTW: SW 10th street between Jefferson and Burnside is on the southwest edge of downtown. Not really residential.
Thanks, I figured that area is not residential, it looks like a nice downtown biz area.

I already own a car and a van. If mass transit is good enough, I'd love to make one a mobile recording unit and only drive it on gigs. I'm an Ex-NYC guy so I can get with Mass transit big time. I miss the convenience of the subway and not needing a car.

I can not afford a $300k house, I can get into an $86k to $140k house.
Will that get me into a safe neighborhood with a good school?

Is there mass transit in the SE area?

There is an area just across the bridge, east of SW 10th and Jefferson/Burnside on the east side of the river, is that area good?
Harumph!

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:31 am

Some caveats:

The area just east of the river near Burnside/Jefferson is not super residential either, more light industry and/or rental.

Sad to say, there is not much lot left in inner SE Portland for the prices you mentioned. I paid on the high end of that range for my small home in the Hawthorne neighborhood ~ 10 years ago. Most homes are almost 1.5 to 2x that now.

However, prices are softening, due to the high unemployment in Oregon and the general world economic malaise. So maybe you could rent for the 1st year?

Also, a note of caution on the "great public transport" in Portland. It is pretty great compared to the rest of the West Coast, but nowhere near the same league as Boston or NYC. No subways, only a (well run, clean and frequent) bus system and some light/surface rail. Not trying to diss our fair city, but just wanted you to be aware that mass transit in is not subway based.

Here's a nice blurb on neighborhoods to consider on the East side:
http://www.movingtoportland.net/living_southeast.htm

Here's some more info:
Sunnyside/Hawthorne/Belmont (somewhat trendy, but relatively safe and plenty of schools nearby - that is where I live with my wife and daughter).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne, ... nd,_Oregon

Woodstock - a little farther from the River, but cheaper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock, ... nd,_Oregon

Brooklynn - nearer the river, mostly residential
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn,_Portland,_Oregon

Sellwood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellwood,_Portland,_Oregon

There's also some good stuff in other parts of Portland, especially some bargains still in North Portland, but I am a bit colloquial about SE Portland. We rarely even bother to go outside a 10 block radius of our neighborhood anymore. Just park the car for the weekend and walk to everything.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks again, My family likes to take long walks and if we could walk to neighborhood places like groceries, restaurant, parks, school, that would be optimal. That's how we usually situate ourselves, we put no milage on our old cars.
I'm finding houses, here is where some popped up, how are these areas?
I can se I'll have to make a trip.

Maybe some boundary streets?
(OK, I checked the pervert registry and I see why not to go North)

Have you been to a place called Chaos on 2600 SE Powell BLVD?

1400 E Burnside Ave?

SE 87th ave?

SE 131st?

On the North side:
  • 4600 Northeast Freemont St?

NE 49th Ave?

3800 North Wiliams Ave?
Too far North?
Thanks again.
Harumph!

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:58 pm

after living in Philly & New York, Portland is one of the safest cities I've ever been in. You'll be fine almost anywhere, you'll probably like NE, SE or North Portland for you and your family. It's easy to get around, get a nice place (with a yard!?) and have your own space.

Good luck!
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks, I lived in NYC for 12 years, loved it.
Harumph!

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:44 pm

SW portland is good. too.

Multnomah village is where I grew up and is a fine place. Best schools and close to downtown (5 min by car). Very family friendly.

Maplewood area too.