Ziggy played .... bass?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Ziggy played .... bass?

Post by nopenopenope » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:22 am

Hello fellow Tape Op'ers.

Last night, just for fun, a bunch of my friends and I tracked "Ziggy Stardust", except our bassist was a no-show. We don't have any more studio time to work with and while we could do something at a home studio, I thought it'd be fun to involve the Tape Op community.

Would any the more bass inclined Tape Op'ers be so kind as to grab your bass and a DI and record the bassline to "Ziggy Stardust"? We're doing a mostly faithful rendition, down to using the original recording as a template (though this version will have musical information below 125Hz!), so just load the original in to whatever DAW you choose and go! We're running the session at 24/48, but I can do SRCs if need be as well. Reply to this thread or send me a PM.

[This recording will not be sold for profit or released other than passed around to friends. You will be fully credited and I will be more than glad to send you anything from the master tracks to a print of the final mix if you so desire.]

Thanks! Should be fun!

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Still need someone to record this?
What's 24/48? Bits? Word length? Gigawatts?
(oops probably 24 bit at 48 khz, that'll teach me to type faster than I read)

I don't know what an SRC is either.

At least you didn't pick "John, I'm Only Dancing". Great bass part, I don't think I could do that one justice.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm not a bass player per se, though I do play bass on a bunch of stuff. I'm willing to give it a go if no actual bass players chime in.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:31 pm

Here's my take (should show up as a 24 bit/48khz wav file that's been zipped). I pasted the first couple bars of the Bowie version onto the front of the track, for synchronization purposes.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/683162202/50 ... 3dff37a5e4