Tech work in Brooklyn?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Glory_Morris
takin' a dinner break

Tech work in Brooklyn?

Post by Glory_Morris » Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm a tech and Engineer in Austin, Tx. Just wondering what the tech situation in NY/Brooklyn is like. My girlfriend is from NY and we've considered moving back North. I love Austin, and business is reasonably good for me here...just the same, I'd like to get a lay of the land, so to speak.

I'm proficient in repairing consoles, compressors, etc. I work for some of the top studios in Austin as their primary tech. Any room for a tech in Brooklyn?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue May 12, 2009 6:04 am

As if a good tech would have a hard time finding work.
Harumph!

Glory_Morris
takin' a dinner break

Post by Glory_Morris » Tue May 12, 2009 6:32 am

It's not exactly that simple now is it?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue May 12, 2009 7:57 am

Why not?

If you get around with your resume and can prove you do quality work, NYers are very into quality over clique schmoozing which seems to rule the south. Probly not in Austin, but, most of the south is how long you've known who you know over anything else. My experience in NY is you are only as good as your last job. If you kick ass, you'll be busy an you won't have to drop prices, in fact, you'll have to raise them.
Still sound good to you?
Harumph!

Glory_Morris
takin' a dinner break

Post by Glory_Morris » Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 am

nevermind.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue May 12, 2009 8:10 am

I had 12 great years there and you probably will have a great time too if you're good, which I'm guessing you are.
I know a few techs, they are as busy as they want to be. They used to tech at the Hit factory and everywhere else.
Plus, you don't have to be in Brooklyn, you can take the train to Manhattan and tech there too, upstate, Staten Island, Jersey, there are plenty of places. . It isn't that far, literally, you can be as busy as you like.
Harumph!