Seattle TapeOp Hang MONDAY NIGHT (Tomorrow)?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

cgarges
zen recordist

Seattle TapeOp Hang MONDAY NIGHT (Tomorrow)?

Post by cgarges » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:41 am

Hey Seattle folks!

My wife and I are going to Seattle for a wedding at the end of July and will be out there from July 29th through August 3rd. Neither of us has ever been out there before. We've got a few things planned but A) wanted to know if anyone had any specific suggestions and B) wanted to know if anyone wanted to get together one evening. We're still getting plans together for specific days, but just thought I'd see if anyone was interested.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:12 pm

You should go to the Pike Place Market. It's very touristy, but it's a very cool place to spend the day. I've lived in Seattle a long time, and still try to hit up the PPM as often as I can. You can also walk down to the waterfront while you're visiting the market.

You might want to check out the EMP/science fiction museum at Seattle Center as well.

LOL! - I just noticed your sig.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Totally on the list. We're staying close by, I think, right downtown.

Didn't know about the Science Fiction Museum. Sounds cool. We'll probably check out EMP, even though I've heard kind of mixed reviews about it. Hows the aquarium? I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:02 pm

The aquarium is pretty sweet. The Woodland Park zoo is pretty sweet too. Hit me up, I could show you the studio I work out of.

shawn

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Hey Shawn,

Was going to call you, anyway. Glad you saw the thread.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

hendrix

Post by supafuzz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:40 pm

you need to visit hendrix's grave and send me a picture
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:53 pm

I've got some sessions while you're here but I'm sure we could meet up for a drink or two.

s

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Anyone else got any tips, etc?

CG

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:04 pm

cgarges wrote:Totally on the list. We're staying close by, I think, right downtown.

Didn't know about the Science Fiction Museum. Sounds cool. We'll probably check out EMP, even though I've heard kind of mixed reviews about it.
If I'm not mistaken, SFM (sci-fi museum) and the EMP are a pay one price get into both type deal .

travelingsales
audio school graduate

Post by travelingsales » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:37 pm

I saw the EMP right when I got here and it was pretty cool, although I have never felt a desire to go back. But it's worth seeing once (and a lot more fun than the Rock Hall in Cleveland, in my opinion). I agree with Meriphew, I am pretty sure you get into both the EMP and the SFM for one price.

You should definitely go see the sunset at Golden Gardens beach (a little NW of the Ballard neighborhood). Maybe check out the Ballard locks while you're up that way too. Might be a little hard to get to if you don't have a car while you're here, but if you can make it it's definitely worth the trip.

Mark

PS - my email's in my profile if you want to grab a drink or want a tour guide!

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:17 pm

You get into both EMP and SFM for one price.

EMP was kind of underwhelming, but I still suggest going to check it out at least once. It didn't have much in what I was interested in doing. I think it is just because I do a lot of it everyday (playing instruments, mixing, etc). I would have rather had more music history to look at. Anyways, they have a Jim Henson exhibit going on right now. That is pretty neat. It has a lot of his doodles, storyboards, muppets, etc.

My favorite thing to do has been walking around looking at the scenery, etc.

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:55 pm

If you're into guitars, Emerald City Guitars is cool, in Pioneer Square, kinda 'old' Seattle.
All the above suggestions are good. Fremont is a fun neighborhood, as is Capitol Hill.
Both are kinda 'alternative' type 'hoods.
Ballard is cool (my hood :) ) locks are cool, Golden Gardens and Sunset Hill are in Ballard.
If you're a food-y, Ballard has some great restaurants.
If you have time, take a ferry out to one of the islands! It's beautiful country out here. :)
If you're down by the stadiums, stop by Clatter & Din! I'll give you a tour!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:14 am

Any good drum shops?

We're headed out tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll have a better idea of what my schedule's gonna be like by this afternoon. I know Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are out for a get-together, but still might be able to do something Saturday, Sunday, or Monday.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:56 pm

there's a drum shop downtown where matt chamberlain teaches lessons and apparently they have great vintage drums.

if you get up to the U district (north of downtown) definitely hit up the TRADING MUSICIAN - an incredible store for instruments.

and grab lunch at THAI THOM - fantastic thai food (the panang curry is deadly)
the new rules : there are no rules

Kel
pluggin' in mics

Post by Kel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:16 pm

I second the trading musician. An awesome possum place.
Scarecrow video(u district) is a fun place to check out. As they have every movie you could ever imagine. Also, go to Dicks! Seattles best burger joint, or at least in the top 5.