Northern California: In Studio Learning?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Northern California: In Studio Learning?

Post by Corey Y » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:52 am

I've been looking at recording engineering educational programs like the Omega Studios program in MD, where you learn theory and practical use of analog and digital gear in a practical environment. Is there anything like this in California? Northern California preferably, but anywhere in the state or coast even.

I've hit the wall for teaching myself because I just don't have the budget for the kind of pro gear I would need to learn how to engineer in even a semi-professional capacity. I'm a theory and fundamentals oriented person and have always learned best by actually doing, so I'm hoping to find a studio based learning program, not a "how to use PT" weekend course. Ideally I guess I'd try to get a job at a studio, that's just not much of an option for me, financially or actually (due to availability of studios).

Any suggestions?

StephanieVilla
audio school graduate

Post by StephanieVilla » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:25 pm

There is a community college named Los Medanos in Pittsburg, CA that has a pretty good hands-on Recording Arts Program. I did the 2 year degree route there ending in around 2000 and have been working in studios ever since. The teachers are pros and really helpful. I still go back and say hi if I end up in that area.

http://www.losmedanos.edu/recarts/default.asp
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Stephanie Villa
Mastering Engineer @
Marsh Mastering
www.myspace.com/villamastering
www.MarshMastering.com
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Expression College for Digital Arts in Emeryville, CA supposedly has nice gear. I have no idea how useful their program is.

http://www.expression.edu/

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:11 pm

Los Medanos is good, especially for the money.

I went to SFSU for the 4-year broadcasting degree, emphasizing in audio production; I had a great experience, well worth the time and money spent. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Bonus when you leave, you've got a 4-year degree under your belt. They also offer 2-year associates degrees at much higher prices through their extended education program.

Chabot JC in Hayward has a program, but I do not know its quality level.

Expressions is an over-priced degree mill churning out garbage graduates, at least in my experience. Absolutely not worth the astronomical tuition.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:54 pm

I went to SFSU as well, BECA program. I'd love to recommend it, but that's a tough one. Great instructor (J Barsotti), but they are severely underfunded. I did learn to troubleshoot and create obscure signal routing work around techniques, that's for sure.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Almost as soon as I posted this it's become very likely that I'm moving to N. Virginia near DC/Baltimore. Nothing is set in stone though, I appreciate the feedback and any additional suggestions.

cdixon6
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cdixon6 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:12 pm

For anyone else who is looking.
CSU, Chico has a great Recording Arts program. It is a highly competitive program to get into but well worth it if you are serious about learning the art of recording and music.
It is a BA degree program. Chico is a great town. Everyone in the program is really into audio so it is a great environment.
We also have (at least had while I was helping run it) a very involved AES chapter.
www.csuchico.edu/aes

Gummy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Gummy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:59 pm

I went to Omega. It was great. I think if you can get into a studio it is best, but Omega helped me a lot and I was in the same boat. Until then, as nike says,just do it.
It may be a garage, but it doesn't sound like one.

StephanieVilla
audio school graduate

Re: Northern California: In Studio Learning?

Post by StephanieVilla » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:04 pm

newfuturevintage wrote:Los Medanos is good, especially for the money.

Chabot JC in Hayward has a program, but I do not know its quality level.

Expressions is an over-priced degree mill churning out garbage graduates, at least in my experience. Absolutely not worth the astronomical tuition.
I would agree with you in regards to Expressions. I did a tour there after I did the LMC route and figured I already got what I needed and more for far less cash than what Expressions charges. Later on as I started training and working with interns in a dupe facility it became quite clear that I made the right decision, as most interns from that school didn't even understand basic signal flow theory.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Stephanie Villa
Mastering Engineer @
Marsh Mastering
www.myspace.com/villamastering
www.MarshMastering.com
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 pm

Omega is looking like a possibility right now. I don't know what the situation is going to be, as far as finding a new space to record in, once my wife and I move. She's applying for a job in Loudoun County and there's a lot of details to be worked out about where we'll be living, renting or buying, etc. I'm pretty spoiled, having a warehouse now. I know we're going to be looking in rural areas though, so there good be a decent sized garage/barn in my future.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:31 pm

I agree with the expressions thing. You're better off spending that much money on equipment and just recording people at your house.