me and Black keys and pals

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

minkthinking
pluggin' in mics

Post by minkthinking » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:14 pm

okay! more details all around please!

i recently sat in on a session with a big producer where he was using an SM7 on the kick drum. i was all, wtf, so i tried it back at my studio later and ... well... yuck... the SM7 had no low end and sounded really midrangey - clickey on the kick. i couldn't replicate his sounds even with EQ... different kick drum i suppose... anyway

just wondering how you got good bass sounds with one. were you adding a lot of low end with EQ in addition to the SM7?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:34 am

minkthinking wrote:okay! more details all around please!

i recently sat in on a session with a big producer where he was using an SM7 on the kick drum. i was all, wtf, so i tried it back at my studio later and ... well... yuck... the SM7 had no low end and sounded really midrangey - clickey on the kick. i couldn't replicate his sounds even with EQ... different kick drum i suppose... anyway

just wondering how you got good bass sounds with one. were you adding a lot of low end with EQ in addition to the SM7?
You description makes it sound like the low-end roll off and/or high-boost switches on your SM7 were active, or there's something wrong with your mic.

SM7's should have no problem at all with low frequencies, and I def. wouldn't describe them as clicky, unless that is what the drum sounds like.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:27 am

Oh man this looks sweet! I so wish that I had been in Brooklyn a week before I was.

Nice promo for the studio in that video too, shows Studio G as the place of cultural 'happenings' that it is.

How kind of you to let people smoke blunts in the live room, I'm sure that didn't go down in the control room :lol:

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:43 am

losthighway wrote:Oh man this looks sweet! I so wish that I had been in Brooklyn a week before I was.

Nice promo for the studio in that video too, shows Studio G as the place of cultural 'happenings' that it is.

How kind of you to let people smoke blunts in the live room, I'm sure that didn't go down in the control room :lol:
I only let a couple people do that... usually it is near the skylight in the bathroom....
whatevs.
:)

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:43 pm

Yikes!! That's cool...
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

Lukey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lukey » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:12 pm

My wife and I are eagerly awaiting this album.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:10 pm

There is a new webisode up on this site... its a fun one. the stuff we were doing with RZA.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:18 pm

Videos floored me, can't wait!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:36 am

joel hamilton wrote:There is a new webisode up on this site... its a fun one. the stuff we were doing with RZA.
Just watched that. So awesome. I was not ready for that guitar stuff he was doing.

Can't wait to hear this.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:00 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:There is a new webisode up on this site... its a fun one. the stuff we were doing with RZA.
Just watched that. So awesome. I was not ready for that guitar stuff he was doing.

Can't wait to hear this.
I know... when we were doing that, I was not even close to prepared for his guitar style!! its crazy.
totally great. and it brought something out in Pat and Dan that I hadnt seen before.
Totally great stuff.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:47 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:

Can't wait to hear this.
I know... when we were doing that, I was not even close to prepared for his guitar style!! its crazy.
totally great. and it brought something out in Pat and Dan that I hadnt seen before.
Totally great stuff.
Was it almost painful at first? I've had this experience many times with geniusy music types where they pick up the axe and you think "fuck, this guys sucks balls, what do I do? What do I say?" Then all of a sudden the idea takes shape and/or your ears/brain click into alignment and it's the coolest thing you've ever heard.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 pm

I was really open to hearing whatever RZA wanted to do, so it could have been super screwy and I still would have been excited to try and mine something cool from it as a loop or an edited part... it turned out to be super cool.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:46 am

What did you use to setup a loop from his guitar track. I realized watching it that loop making is a skill my clients haven't ever demanded of me, and I don't know crap about it.

The way it looks in the video, you came up with a very musical loop from his track in a short time.

Where were you guys tracking in that part? What made you guys choose that room instead of working in G?

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:41 pm

losthighway wrote:What did you use to setup a loop from his guitar track. I realized watching it that loop making is a skill my clients haven't ever demanded of me, and I don't know crap about it.

The way it looks in the video, you came up with a very musical loop from his track in a short time.

Where were you guys tracking in that part? What made you guys choose that room instead of working in G?
+1 to all of the above.

Just watched all four vids. Looked like a looooot of fun. Mos seems like the coolest dude in the world.
tra la la