me and Black keys and pals

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:42 pm

losthighway wrote:What did you use to setup a loop from his guitar track. I realized watching it that loop making is a skill my clients haven't ever demanded of me, and I don't know crap about it.

The way it looks in the video, you came up with a very musical loop from his track in a short time.

Where were you guys tracking in that part? What made you guys choose that room instead of working in G?
THere was a session already booked at G that couldnt be moved. Someone in with Tony that had come up from Brazil (victor rice and the easy star all stars people).

So I booked some time elsewhere (loho) for the RZA stuff.
I am just looping stuff in protools. Some of it isnt even on a grid, just looped to the phrases.
using the basic tracks for loops and then tracking to those loops and sections. Thats why the tempo moves around a bit across the parts: no click.
Sometimes I put the stuff on the grid by just tapping tempo along side the basic loop until I get within like .25 of a bpm, and then cut the loops on the grid that way so i can fly things around easier. all the loop choices are things I will deal with as we go, so I dont take a lot of time... audio jackson pollack style...... just keep throwing stuff at the speakers....

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:50 pm

you also happen to be good at looping... understanding what makes a good loop is a big part of being fast at looping.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

minkthinking
pluggin' in mics

Post by minkthinking » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:54 pm

"audio jackson pollack style"

...nice

Joel, you rule
we are all anxiously awaiting this album!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:35 am

toaster3000 wrote:you also happen to be good at looping... understanding what makes a good loop is a big part of being fast at looping.

john
kind words from someone who is good at looping.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:43 pm

another couple of great new webisode thingies on the site (one or two featuring toaster 3000) :

http://www.blakroc.com

Letterman 12/8/09
Fallon 12/10/09

US Release Date ?Black Friday? 11/27/09 via BlakRoc Records
UK/Europe Release Date 12/7/00 via V2 Cooperative
Australia /New Zealand 12/5/09 via Shock

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:56 am

Man, I am really good at standing behind people!

John
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:10 am

more questions!

ok - episode 5 - with the guest female vocalists - "in the meantime..."
what's the vocal reverb - one of your springs? plate? it's deadly. love it.
the new rules : there are no rules

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:00 pm

I believe that's the plate at LoHo, and it sure does sound great.
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:05 pm

any idea what kind of plate it is? emt? can't seem to find a site for that studio...
the new rules : there are no rules

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:35 pm

joninc wrote:more questions!

In the mix that was used in that video, it is actually my sound workshop spring in mono, filtered heavily on the console and with a MOTM lowpass filter outboard.
I had a little bit of a room verb setting from the Bricasti M7 on the return of the spring to animate it a bit. I also really did have Nicole sing like 6 or 7 feet back from that innertube 87 that they have over at that studio, so there is a ton of room on her vocal track, like in a gospel way, which is what I was going for without just going fully omni with it. I probably had some culture vulture on the send to the spring as well. I am pretty sure I did for that one. A little tube rip on the way to the verb.I will do that with our plate as well. making my own 140s with a weird plate at studio G but with a culture vulture on the send side so I can control how ripped up it gets on the way to the verb. It works really, really well with the sound workshop spring I have.

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:19 pm

joninc wrote:any idea what kind of plate it is? emt? can't seem to find a site for that studio...
joel hamilton wrote:it is actually my sound workshop spring
Oops. Guess I was wrong.

Anyway, I'm still trying to get a website together for LoHo but it's taking awhile. Until then there's some info up at Gearslutz:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-new ... arket.html

There's actually some more gear in there now - a blackface 1176, a few distressors, some chandler stuff. Hopefully I'll have an updated website together for the holidays.
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:42 pm

joninc wrote:more questions!

Nicole Wray. She is awesome.

KIDTHUNDER
audio school

Post by KIDTHUNDER » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:46 pm

Just watched these videos, great sounds and great arrangements....i loved the rza section..... although there seemed to be a few uncomfortable moments in there ie. michael jordan convo, and "is this an 8068"...... just me?

nicole wrey and and neo sections also were very impressive.

joel, what do you mean by "choosing the wrong mic" U47s, (what looked like a) U67/87 type, and even the sm57/58 are all excellent vocal mics. what would you normally go for instead?
damn that rupert neve is a swell son-of-a-bitch

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:59 pm

KIDTHUNDER wrote:Just watched these videos, great sounds and great arrangements....i loved the rza section..... although there seemed to be a few uncomfortable moments in there ie. michael jordan convo, and "is this an 8068"...... just me?

nicole wrey and and neo sections also were very impressive.

joel, what do you mean by "choosing the wrong mic" U47s, (what looked like a) U67/87 type, and even the sm57/58 are all excellent vocal mics. what would you normally go for instead?
"choosing the wrong mics" on all the instruments.
Vocals/guests were recorded with good stuff that was intuitive... like a 47 or an 87 or a handheld sm57.....
For the same reason that I love the juxtaposition of old dusty samples and modern vocals on any great hip hop record....

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:57 pm

Dude! Some music blog I stumbled on had a stream of one of the tunes. Another Mos Def song called the Vista, or something. It sounds perfect!

What is that delay on the guitar?

I love the way Mos' vocals are doubled and get a little out of sync at the end. That guy has one of the most pleasing sounding singing voices.

I can't wait to pick this record up next week.