I want to design for Tape Oppers for cheap/trades

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

I want to design for Tape Oppers for cheap/trades

Post by jgimbel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:13 am

Hey fellow Tape Oppers. While recording is how I spend the majority of my free time, I'm also freelance graphic designer and photographer. I tend to get projects to work on in waves - I'll have just a couple things for a while, then I'll get a bunch at once. Well right now I have a few projects that are winding down, so I'm looking for some things to be working on. In design, like in music/recording, I hate sticking with just one area, so I've worked on all different kinds of projects, from websites to identity/branding, from album artwork to custom typefaces, from woodworking to book design to packaging and product photography.

I've talked with a few folks on here and other places about doing design work for reasonable rates, or for trading for gear, and so far it's been great working with these folks. I'm starting to move to more mid-level equipment, so I'm looking for all kinds of things, and I'd most likely be willing to do a job in trade for a piece of gear that costs a good bit less than what I'd normally charge if it's something I could use. I really love doing design work, and I've really found it to be the best of all worlds working with other folks who are into music and recording as much as I am.

I've got an online portfolio that's under construction, but you can see what's up there now at www.jessegimbel.com. Take a look around, let me know what you think. Like I said I like to take on all different kinds of projects, but I also really like to make the style of it appropriate for each project, rather than being a design with a limited style that I apply to everything.

I'm cool with working for a good bit less than I'd normally charge since this board has been an invaluable part of my recording education, or trades for gear. Feel free to send me a message on here, email me at jesse.gimbel@yahoo.com, or even give me a call at (484) 681-0450. If you have any questions just let me know, I'd love to get some projects going soon!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Anyone? Definitely still looking for some work to keep me busy.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:44 am

Alright, Christmas is over and it'll be the new year soon, things should be getting settled a bit. I'm dying to do some design work, just let me know what you need!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Still still still looking for folks! Let me know what you need, how much you can pay/what you want to trade and we can go ahead!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:44 am

Can you do Myspace or web design? I don't need anything fancy with flash or animated GIFs (do people still use those?)

I'd like a Myspace Layout that is really simple, like this business card:

And a website for the studio I work at, the Butcher Shoppe, to be like Joel's Studio G website. We have a sign for the studio that could be the main image, and just a few pictures of the studio.

I don't have any money to throw towards it, but I might be able to dig up a piece of gear or some cables in exchange.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:55 pm

I can definitely do web design, and I've done myspace redesigns as well, but only changing images/colors/backgrounds, I haven't yet tried things with actually moving parts around. But I've done a lot of websites, no problem there.

That business card is right up my alley, looks like something I'd do. I love that kind of simplicity. I'd be ready to go whenever you are.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Hey, did you get my email about this a couple of days ago? Not trying to be pushy, just want to make sure I didn't accidentally send that to my aunt or somebody...

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:26 am

Still looking for folks! (Yes I did respond to Drummerman, forgot to post here about it, just so people know!)

I haven't done a whole lot yet but it's been nice to be in touch with people from here, I'm ready to go!

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:09 am

Yes! Jesse has been very responsive and pleasant to talk about this stuff with!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Looks like some things will be started soon, but still looking for things to do! Anyone got an RNC or RNLA they don't use that needs some design work? I cannot tell you how tired I am of clicking knob graphics on plugins! :wink:

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Just wanted to post one of the first finished jobs from this thread:

The album is great, I'm glad I got to do artwork for it. It's silver and gold metallic ink screen printed on navy blue stock, with inkjet-printed CDs.

I'm looking to get some projects lined up for the next month or so. I'm looking more for paying gigs than trades at this point as I've just got a few things for the home studio, but definitely still want to do reasonable prices for folks. Feel free to send me an email at jesse.gimbel@yahoo.com with what you might need, and maybe put something about TOMB in the subject line so I know it's in relation to this thread!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:57 am

Sean Sullivan wrote:Can you do Myspace or web design? I don't need anything fancy with flash or animated GIFs (do people still use those?)

I'd like a Myspace Layout that is really simple, like this business card:

And a website for the studio I work at, the Butcher Shoppe, to be like Joel's Studio G website. We have a sign for the studio that could be the main image, and just a few pictures of the studio.

I don't have any money to throw towards it, but I might be able to dig up a piece of gear or some cables in exchange.
Hey, that's my name. I like the card.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:23 am

it's my name too. i'll fight you for the card!

really impressed with your design for jon's record, mr gimbel. one of my super-snobby web designer friends commented approvingly on it as well...

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 am

So glad you (and he) approve! It helps that Jon came to me with a pretty clear idea (and decent sketch) of the direction, and also helped that the style was right up my alley - simple! I love doing album artwork, I'm always willing to work out a decent deal for that. Web projects are more complex and ongoing and therefore take more time and money, but once album artwork is done, it's done.

And hey, I can design business cards too!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:58 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:it's my name too. i'll fight you for the card!
How about we take turns shredding?