RIP T-Bone Wolk

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Rabbit
ass engineer

RIP T-Bone Wolk

Post by Rabbit » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 am

Great bass player, very sad news....

http://themusicsover.wordpress.com/2010 ... bone-wolk/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:12 am

Dang. That guy was badass. What a shame. He couldn't have been very old.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

pwrb
gettin' sounds

Post by pwrb » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:11 pm

He was my neighbor in Vermont up until moving to NYC a few years ago. Really great, down-to-earth guy. And could play the hell out of any instrument, it seemed. He'll be remembered as a first rate bassist, but his mandolin, accordian, and guitar playing were all world-class.

There's a great story that illustrates his talent as well as sense of humor... He was playing on an Elvis Costello session, finished doing a perfect one-take bass overdub track, and Elvis said he thought the track was "too perfect." He asked T-Bone if he could play it again, but "a little less pro-sounding." T-Bone, amused, didn't miss a beat. He quickly flipped his bass around, and did another one-take track, playing his bass upside-down and left-handed. They kept and used that track. (Sorry, I don't know what song it is...)

Very sad news. He was too young and will be missed majorly.

-Pete

www.weissy.com
www.verdantstudio.com
www.weisstronauts.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:43 pm

RIP T-Bone.

Great story Pete.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:47 pm

I was looking forward to seeing the Hall & Oates perfomance on Jimmy Fallon tonight, for a big part because he's their bass player. He had a great style and was obvoiusly a really talented player, and he'll definately be missed.

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:30 pm

pwrb wrote:There's a great story that illustrates his talent as well as sense of humor... He was playing on an Elvis Costello session, finished doing a perfect one-take bass overdub track, and Elvis said he thought the track was "too perfect." He asked T-Bone if he could play it again, but "a little less pro-sounding." T-Bone, amused, didn't miss a beat. He quickly flipped his bass around, and did another one-take track, playing his bass upside-down and left-handed. They kept and used that track. (Sorry, I don't know what song it is...)
Fantastic story! I wish there was a Web site/book/or article even that collected all these great recording session anecdotes.
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here