RIP Mark Linkous / Sparklehorse

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

bigideas
audio school graduate

Post by bigideas » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Someone recently mentioned IAWL as one of their favorite records, so I got it back out. Also going back through a lot of 2010 records including Dark Night of the Soul. Came to this thread via a short youtube clip of Mark playing pump organ.

Has there been any statement as to whether his family will release what he was working on when he passed? I haven't read on (has it even been said anywhere?) who he was (or if he was) recording with on his latest stuff. I guess Danger Mouse was the one he worked with most of recent times, but he has been doing Broken Bells most of this year. I wonder if he will be asked to complete an album with what Mark left behind?
The most recent example is what was done with Jay Bennett's last recordings.

Also, are there any interviews where Mark goes in depth on his recording process/what his home studio consisted of?

I still have yet to buy/hear Dreamt.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:06 pm

There are a lot of things that will come to light soon surrounding these final tracks.
I was contacted to mix the record, but clearly it did not happen.

Mark is very much missed.
That is the most poignant part of the situation, regardless of anything else.

bigideas
audio school graduate

Post by bigideas » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:04 am

joel hamilton wrote:There are a lot of things that will come to light soon surrounding these final tracks.
That is exciting to hear!

After making that post I see that Mark was featured in Tape Op. Now comes the task of finding said interview...

loh.ariel
audio school graduate

Post by loh.ariel » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 pm

The album he did with dangermouse was pretty awesome.

Got to meet him briefly at Steve Albini's shortly before his passing.
Ariel Loh
Student (SUNY Purchase 2012), intern (Stratosphere Sound summer/winter 2010, Electrical Audio summer/winter 2009), producer, engineer
My work: www.lohmusic.com

bigideas
audio school graduate

Post by bigideas » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:55 am

loh.ariel wrote:Got to meet him briefly at Steve Albini's shortly before his passing.
Tell me more about this meeting/circumstances please.

bigideas
audio school graduate

Post by bigideas » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:56 am

Another year and no news of Mark's final recordings.

I was saddened by the loss of Trish Keenan of Broadcast early last year.

I was happy to read recently that her partner is working on putting out a record with what they were working on before she passed.

james_cassidy
audio school

sparklehorse

Post by james_cassidy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 am

Mark is one of the great influences on my music. I wish he were still here with us and hope his unreleased material will be available to us all very soon. I've always considered him a kindred spirit. I've recorded my album on an old tascam 388 in the Catskill mountains of New York which will be released very soon. Please give a listen here if you are so inclined: www.theautumnstone.bandcamp.com