new midwest mastering studio

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Justin P.
audio school graduate

new midwest mastering studio

Post by Justin P. » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:37 pm

I have opened a new mastering studio in Milwaukee.

http://www.mysteryroommastering.com/

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:20 am

"Digi 002 w/Black Lion Modification"

I didn't see a wordclock on your list...most mastering facilities have mega-converters like Benchmark, etc. I know that the 002 does not have a wordclock input.

Are you clocking internally with your 002 or running something optically or via S/PDIF?

Can you handle analog tape masters?

Can you deliver ddp files to the manufacturing plant?

What software do you use to render a PMCD?

Can I get the PQ codes?

Do you imbed ISRC codes on the master files? Can you obtain those or do I have to do that?

Justin P.
audio school graduate

Post by Justin P. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 am

Gee, thanks for your kind reply.

I use the Crane Song Hedd for A/D D/A conversion and clock S/PDIF off of it.

I use the Crane Song Avocet for D/A (same chip as the Hedd)

I don't have a tape machine and stay plenty busy without one, maybe sometime down the road I can pick one up, that would be nice.

Waveburner can do DDP and print a PQ sheet, and do ISRC codes.

Waiting for Wavelab 7 for Mac to come out later this year.

I didn't say it was the best mastering studio in the world, but it's a start.
Last edited by Justin P. on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 am

Welcome to the board, Justin. Best of luck with your new place.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Justin P.
audio school graduate

Post by Justin P. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks Chris,

Best of luck to you as well.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 am

Justin P. wrote:Thanks for being an asshole.
Just ignore him. He's always been nothing but a poser asshole. He enjoys some kind of weird protection from moderators around here who seem content to let him run around being a poser asshole and smearing his bullshit all over the forum. His contribution to this forum has been OVERWHELMINGLY negative for years now, and nobody will do anything about it.

Go check out his studio and his credits. Then, ask him about it. Maybe he'll wax nostalgic about the glory days out in L.A.... or, about his assisting gig for David Coverdale's 2000 comeback attempt.

I'm sure that you'll find that he's constantly exaggerating about his actual experience and about the kind of work that he does. Most of us have written him off as a self-obsessed, delusional liar, and do our best to ignore his posts.

Good luck with your place. Y'know, if the moderators had any interest in actually moderating, they'd delete Jeff's useless post, your response, and this post, and let you get on with letting people know about your mastering service.

Justin P.
audio school graduate

Post by Justin P. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks for the warning, I frequent some of the other popular forums but I haven't been on this one enough to realize who I was dealing with.

I realize that many mastering studios have a 1/2" and/or 1/4" machine, but when opening a mastering studio in 2010, it's not too high on my list at the moment, pretty much everything that comes in is digital....if business stays strong I would love to pick up an Ampex 102 to maybe bounce mixes off of, or bring in some more clients that prefer to mix to tape, but until then......it's still sounds like music.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 am

welcome to the board justin. that's a nice looking room you have there.

and since this thread is already following the classic TOMB arc, now comes the part where i try and straighten out jeff. this will be followed by jeff not responding to any of my points.
@?,*???&? wrote:"Digi 002 w/Black Lion Modification"
you still rocking the 001 and behringer converters at your place tough guy?
Can I get the PQ codes?
can you "get" them? you can't burn a cd without them, dingus.
Do you imbed ISRC codes on the master files? Can you obtain those or do I have to do that?
now jeffy, quit playing dumb. surely a proponent of the legitimate, barcoded cd would know that ISRCs are supplied by the client, not obtained by the ME. c'mon now.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Some nice photos! We just had a friend who works as a pro photographer finally shoot our spot and I have to laugh at how they seem to always take the arty farty shots of the gear. I got like 20 photos of the console faders. Anywho, looks good.

Justin P.
audio school graduate

Post by Justin P. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:27 pm

fuzz wrote:Some nice photos! We just had a friend who works as a pro photographer finally shoot our spot and I have to laugh at how they seem to always take the arty farty shots of the gear. I got like 20 photos of the console faders. Anywho, looks good.
Thanks, the photos are from a few different friends that do photography for living and then the web guy did his own thing to some of them....I don't even own a digital camera other than what's on my phone.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Space looks great!

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Justin P. wrote:I realize that many mastering studios have a 1/2" and/or 1/4" machine, but when opening a mastering studio in 2010, it's not too high on my list at the moment, pretty much everything that comes in is digital....if business stays strong I would love to pick
i wouldn't sweat the tape deck. Most places that have them are saying they're averaging a couple projects a year. Unless you have studios as clients that use 2 track tape on the regular, I wouldn't put it high or on the list either.
....although it is a great medium/sound when done right.

Justin P.
audio school graduate

Post by Justin P. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Waltz Mastering wrote:
Justin P. wrote:I realize that many mastering studios have a 1/2" and/or 1/4" machine, but when opening a mastering studio in 2010, it's not too high on my list at the moment, pretty much everything that comes in is digital....if business stays strong I would love to pick
i wouldn't sweat the tape deck. Most places that have them are saying they're averaging a couple projects a year. Unless you have studios as clients that use 2 track tape on the regular, I wouldn't put it high or on the list either.
....although it is a great medium/sound when done right.
Thanks for the advice Tom, looks like our studios have a similar concept, mastering, mixing and some overdubbing/vocal recording...i don't know about you but it makes for a lot of studio traffic around here.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Nice place! Good luck with your venture!

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:35 am

Justin -
Your room looks really nice! This didn't happen to be Trevor Sadler's old space - is it?

Best regards,
Steve Berson