Louisville KY

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

jspartz
buyin' gear

Louisville KY

Post by jspartz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 am

I have a conference at the University of Louisville next week and I have no clue what the city has to offer. Can you tell me any clubs, eating establishments, or guitar shops that are a must see? Any good bands playing in town on Friday April 16th?

Thanks!

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:57 am

A couple of my best friends live in Louisville. I am actually visiting there this weekend for a CD release party.

I would recommend checking out the Bardstown Road area. There are lots of funky little shops, a great record store (Ear-X-tacy), cool little places to eat and a nice micro-brewery that I really like (Cumberland Brews)...

I bought my Fulltone pedal at a nice higher-end guitar shop there about five years ago, but the name of the shop escapes me right now.

There are a couple of folks that hang around the boards that live there.. I think T-Rex could suggest cool places to go... I always enjoy that place.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:00 am

egr
alignin' 24-trk

Post by egr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:02 pm

CedarSound wrote:This link might be helpful...

http://thingsyoushoulddo.com/what-to-do ... e-kentucky
If you're interested in used gear there's a Music Go Round location at 3640 S. Hurstbourne Pkwy. Also check out Electric Lady Land (music/head shop) if it's still open on Bardstown road.
Datathrash Recordings
http://datathrash.com

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Well they nailed it above with Bardstown Rd. Along with Ear X-tacy (which is great) also check out Underground Sounds which is another cool record store.

Guitar Emporium, also on Bardstown road, is a cool old school guitar shop. If you want an electric sitar, they have you covered!

Club wise the ones I can recommend off the top of my head are Skull alley (downtown), Zanzabar (close to U of L) and the Vernon Club which is under a bowling alley and pretty sweet. Off hand I don't know any of the bands playing on the 16th.

On the food tip, if you like Thai food you have to check out Simply Thai - seriously the best Pad Thai I have ever had hands down. Limited hours and very small but totally worth it.
http://www.eatsimplythai.com/

Also Wicks Pizza on Bardstown Rd. is great as well as Spinneli's pizza.

There's also a couple really cool vegan places, but I wouldn't know which ones were good.

If I think of anything else I will post or if you have any specific questions, there are a couple of us on here from Louisville.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Loud and Clear
audio school

Louisville

Post by Loud and Clear » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:00 pm

im going to +1 for Ear X-tacy on Bardstown Rd. totally rad record store. as for the bar scene, ive always been a big fan of The Mag Bar on 2nd and Magnolia. Its kind of a punk dive with great atmosphere. Ive met a ton of cool people there.

Louisville is a really great town. hope you have fun.

xaMdaM
audio school graduate

Post by xaMdaM » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:10 am

I've been in NC for 25 years, so I'm a bit out of touch, but there's plenty to "do and see" in Louavul...

Churchill Downs is a must.

There might be some short trips on The Belle of Louisville that are available.

Hadley Pottery is another Louisville tradition.

The Juggernaut Jug Band is playing at Jim Porters on the 16th... they used to be pretty kick ass... (back in my day, anyway.)

Lots of good pubs up on Bardstown Rd... definitely check out things in the Highlands area, Germantown and there's a coupla' decent pubs in my old stompin' grounds of St. Matthews.

Louisville used to have some beautiful parks... and I imagine they still are. Namely Seneca Park and Cherokee park. Been a coupla' years since I had time to drive through either one.

Looks like the Louisville Bats are in a home stand with the Cleveland Clippers the week of the 16th as well.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Louisville!

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Club wise the ones I can recommend off the top of my head are Skull alley (downtown)
That's where we were last night! We were there for the IAmIs CD release show. They played with a band called Lohio (who are actually from Pennsylvania).

It was an excellent show... we had a good time..too good actually. I don't usually go to bed at four in the morning nowadays... paid for it this morning.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Jamie at Skull Alley is great. He is very gracious with the drunken mess that is my band live - and an all around nice guy. Skull Alley reminds me of a mini Bogarts.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.