Third Monk Mocha Stout

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Third Monk Mocha Stout

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Just bottled another batch of this stuff tonight.

Can't find a way to get the price below $21 a 6-pack. Even buying in bulk, supplies are expensive because I'm using triple the malt for this one.

Anybody else brewing?

What kind of water are you using?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu May 13, 2010 9:23 pm

How do I buy this?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 14, 2010 7:46 am

?

CG

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri May 14, 2010 7:49 am

Brewing rules. I've been getting into making mead lately.... the more I brew/drink mead, the less interested in beer I get.

I always use spring water for my brews, that I collect from a local spring into a glass jug (water has never seen plastic). Don't want no plastic tea in my brews....

http://www.findaspring.com

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri May 14, 2010 8:14 am

Really, that seems exceptionally high? A friend of mine has a huge home brewing setup and told me he has cut his beer costs in half by making his own. He also buys all his supplies in bulk. I'll ask him for his distributor.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri May 14, 2010 9:23 am

the finger genius wrote:Really, that seems exceptionally high? A friend of mine has a huge home brewing setup and told me he has cut his beer costs in half by making his own. He also buys all his supplies in bulk. I'll ask him for his distributor.
I'm using triple the malt of any ordinary beer and there are other ingredients. This latest batch combined a dry and liquid yeast ($5.95 a packet) for fermentation.

Big areas of cost are in three places:

Malt Extract
Water
Bottles

Everything else is pennies.

I've talked to local brew supply shops and they can't give a break on the malt extract. I can buy direct from the distributor, and the bulk discount is only free shipping for orders over $100.

What I did notice is that the liquid yeast cleaned up much better by the end of fermentation with this batch- sort of like dithering audio!
Last edited by @?,*???&? on Fri May 14, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri May 14, 2010 9:24 am

cgarges wrote:How do I buy this?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
PM me your address and I'll send a bottle down to you.

If you're a fan of Mackeson Triple Stout or the Norwegian beer Aasbock, you will like this immensely.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri May 14, 2010 9:29 am

Wait, are you buying bottles for each batch? My friend used to recycle his bottles and now has a kegging system. If you're buying bottles for each batch that would probably pay for itself in a year or less, it also saves a lot of time.
vvv wrote:

You may quote me.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri May 14, 2010 9:33 am

the finger genius wrote:Wait, are you buying bottles for each batch? My friend used to recycle his bottles and now has a kegging system. If you're buying bottles for each batch that would probably pay for itself in a year or less, it also saves a lot of time.
I just used recycled bottles for this batch, but am sitting on 48 brand new brown glass bottles.

Regardless, one still has to buy the original beverage and pay for it before you can use the bottle. Unlike most states, here in Michigan there's a $.10 bottle deposit so everyone returns bottles to the stores for the deposit.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri May 14, 2010 9:42 am

Right, but once you have enough bottles for one batch, then you have enough bottles for future batches (assuming you're recycling the old ones.) In any case, if you want to save time and money in the long run, I'd definitely look into a kegging system.
vvv wrote:

You may quote me.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri May 14, 2010 9:56 am

the finger genius wrote:Right, but once you have enough bottles for one batch, then you have enough bottles for future batches (assuming you're recycling the old ones.) In any case, if you want to save time and money in the long run, I'd definitely look into a kegging system.
Absolutely, but now that makes me reliant on the people who buy the beer to return the bottles! So far, only a third have returned their bottles! But your logic is right, for a regular customer, they need only buy one 'set' of bottles and then buy later at a discount.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri May 14, 2010 10:07 am

Sorry, it was not clear that you were selling the beer.
vvv wrote:

You may quote me.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri May 14, 2010 10:37 am

Wait, does it have a bar code?
vvv wrote:

You may quote me.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 am

I do mead in 3 gallon batches, 1 gallon of honey (about $35 from a local apiary) and 2 gallons of spring water (free, I collect myself). Plus yeast, oranges or lemons (for citric acid) and some black tea (for tannic acid), plus whatever fruits/flavorings I decide to use comes out to about $40/batch, which yields about 12 wine bottles full of exquisite yumminess.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri May 14, 2010 11:34 am

I've thought about doing a commercial brewing thing, but you have to have a license to do that. Way too harsh penalties if you get caught.....