new website..s

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

dynomike
carpal tunnel

new website..s

Post by dynomike » Thu May 13, 2010 11:37 pm

http://mikekuehn.ca (porfolio site with html5 videos)

edit: and now also http://unichord.ca (studio site with more modest goals, which works in all browsers afaik)

i'm still having a few issues with both of them so your bug reports (noting browser/OS) and comments would be appreciated.. thanks!
Last edited by dynomike on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri May 14, 2010 6:07 am

Man, that room is lovely. Site looks good - really simple.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri May 14, 2010 7:40 am

picture of the room looks nice but because I am running a "shitty" browser - in other words IE8 which is probably the same as 75% of the rest of the planet is running - I can't use your site. Not the best marketing move in my opinion but good luck. :wink:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri May 14, 2010 9:51 am

Tried it on iPad and on FF/Win7. Looks great, but animations are all choppy.

Love your rolling cart!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri May 14, 2010 4:03 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:picture of the room looks nice but because I am running a "shitty" browser - in other words IE8 which is probably the same as 75% of the rest of the planet is running - I can't use your site. Not the best marketing move in my opinion but good luck. :wink:
meh. download chrome.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri May 14, 2010 4:04 pm

inverseroom wrote:Tried it on iPad and on FF/Win7. Looks great, but animations are all choppy.

Love your rolling cart!
i'll work on it! :)

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri May 14, 2010 5:18 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:picture of the room looks nice but because I am running a "shitty" browser - in other words IE8 which is probably the same as 75% of the rest of the planet is running - I can't use your site. Not the best marketing move in my opinion but good luck. :wink:
yep, can't view properly either. but room looks snazzy from what I can see.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri May 14, 2010 8:08 pm

dynomike wrote:meh. download chrome.
Trying to market yourself, but limiting functionality for the majority of visitors? Good luck with that.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri May 14, 2010 8:37 pm

John Jeffers wrote:
Trying to market yourself, but limiting functionality for the majority of visitors? Good luck with that.
thanks for the well wishes!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:31 pm

dynomike wrote:
John Jeffers wrote:
thanks for the well wishes!
I do wish you well with your site. I think you did a good job graphically/content, but I gotta give a serious +1 to what they said. A geeky "stick it to the man" attitude is self-defeating here. I hope next time you cater to the dominant browser (I know, easier said than done and not an ounce of fun) and then build in the support for the minority browsers.

For your sake. I use FireFux, so I enjoyed it just fine. I'm not agreeing with them in my own self-interest or because I'm some kind of MS fanboy or something.

If you were doing this for a client, they'd be so pissed with this result. You should give yourself the same treatment. It would be like recording all your music in Ogg Vorbis format and then wanting to mix it at a ProTools (or even Logic, what have you) studio. Some times you've got to at least accomodate the industry standard, even if the very thought pisses you off.

Sorry.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Fri May 14, 2010 10:12 pm

Clever site. Love how the albums section is organized.

FYI, I'm browsing in Chrome.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat May 15, 2010 6:14 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:If you were doing this for a client, they'd be so pissed with this result. You should give yourself the same treatment.
Get pissed off at myself? What's the point!
Sorry.
So am I.

Look I understand, there are still IE bugs. I will try to overcome them in time (by using flash instead of HTML5 on the IE specific page). But for now I have exhausted my energy/resources towards this task and don't give two shits about IE users who can't be bothered to download a proper browser (for free, in about 2 minutes, which will save them hours in load times and browsing efficiency). The lowest common denominator is not exactly my target market.
Last edited by dynomike on Sat May 15, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat May 15, 2010 6:25 am

Love the main photo.

Sorta lacking on straightforward info (like gear and all...) but that
may be your intention?

I was surprised to see that it formatted well for the iPhone.
That's good.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat May 15, 2010 6:43 am

roscoenyc wrote:Love the main photo.
thanks! photo credit goes to my friend joel digiacomo. he's an architecture masters student focusing on environmental sound, so his site may interest some of you.
Sorta lacking on straightforward info (like gear and all...) but that
may be your intention?

I was surprised to see that it formatted well for the iPhone.
That's good.
that is indeed the idea. i still need to do a wee bit of work on the iphone page though, to get all the videos playing (the desktop version videos are too large)

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat May 15, 2010 7:07 am

I don't think I would be alone in saying that
prospective mastering clients would want to see your
gear list.