Looking for a modest semi-analog studio near Columbus OH

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Looking for a modest semi-analog studio near Columbus OH

Post by greatmagnet » Mon May 17, 2010 8:44 am

Hey Peeps,

I have a former studio client who has become a good friend that recently moved from California to Columbus OH. We worked really well together and the scale and reach of my studio and the aesthetic that we worked out together for his music gelled nicely too. He's kinda bummed that he's no longer close enough to me to record stuff at my place, and is kinda looking around for a new place to record that is local to him.

I thought TapeOp would be a great place to start helping him look, as most of the people who post here have that similar aesthetic and working method in mind and we share that common outlook for the most part.

The last album I did for this fellow was recorded pretty much 100% on my Otari MX5050 8-channel...we'd record eight tracks, capture those tracks to the computer, send a mono mix of that batch back to the Otari, record seven more tracks, dump to digital again, align the second batch, and so-forth. He's very into the whole sound of analog and working in a linear fashion, and also really likes getting sounds that are not always pristine...a little lo-fi grit here and there.

So basically I think he and I are looking for someone that has a decent 8 or 16-channel tape machine, a modest but well-chosen arsenal of outboard pres and compressors, but also a firm grip on editing and mixing in the digital domain. And moreover someone that is interested in doing a full-length LP project over a long and spread-out timeframe but working in a very creative and patient way where the engineer and artist are never afraid to wipe the slate clean and start over on any given track.

I used to cut him a pretty good rate...$200 for a full day...but in the long run it really worked out well for the both of us as he would come back month after month (maybe once per month) until he had finished a full-length LP. And he would often sit with the stuff he recorded for a while, decide it wasn't the right approach, and then re-record the whole thing. He's very brave that way and quite talented. It's a very creative, satisfying relationship.

So I'm just looking for someone out there that might want to take care of him in the same fashion with a lot of patience and creativity, and the right ear for the tones he's looking for.

HOLLA!

Cheers,
Adam Sullivan
707-225-4348
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon May 17, 2010 11:31 am

I'm 3 hours away in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

www.myspace.com/thirdmonkrecords

marshman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by marshman » Tue May 18, 2010 3:16 am

I am an hours easy drive north in Ashland.

MCI 2" 16 track, MCI 400 console, good room, nice mics, tons of nice outboard gear, PT LE modified 002,

Do tape to digital all the time.

www.marshmanstudios.com

Shoot me a PM for more info.

mm
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Re: Looking for a modest semi-analog studio near Columbus OH

Post by supafuzz » Tue May 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Hey Adam
My in-laws live in columbus and I found a cool studio there [turns out my nephew even interned there] It's a really nice place and the people were cool..
Dont remember if they had tape or not.
Central city recording
http://www.centralcityrecording.com/gear.html

also
this place has tape
http://gbsrecords.com/gear.html

the El Harley [capitan]
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Re: Looking for a modest semi-analog studio near Columbus OH

Post by ott0bot » Tue May 18, 2010 6:06 pm

supafuzz wrote: also
this place has tape
http://gbsrecords.com/gear.html
I checked it out, and they have some nice features.....
from website wrote: MICROPHONES
Neuman, BLUE, AKG, Sennheiser, Beyer, Shure, Audio Technics, Crown, etc

Manley Gold Reference Mic available upon request

Neuman vintage M49 available upon request

Full-body massage by Travis upon request
ha!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue May 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Hey Adam, want to be a real hero? Tell them to go to the Surly Girl Saloon and order the Surly Girl pizza and a Burning River Pale Ale.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 pm

cgarges wrote:Hey Adam, want to be a real hero? Tell them to go to the Surly Girl Saloon and order the Surly Girl pizza and a Burning River Pale Ale.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
You know a cool eatery in every town!

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Tue May 25, 2010 1:25 pm

While I don't have a functional tape machine, my place in Akron otherwise fits the bill:

www.myspace.com/tangerinesoundstudios

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue May 25, 2010 11:32 pm

drumsound wrote:You know a cool eatery in every town!
Yes. Yes, I do.

Hey, by the way, someone in Winsrton Salem tonight mentioned BBQ King and I had to tell them about your request. We'll definitely have to swing by there next time you're in town. There and Price's Chicken Coop. The Coop will change your life. Seriously.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:23 pm

cgarges wrote:
drumsound wrote:You know a cool eatery in every town!
Yes. Yes, I do.

Hey, by the way, someone in Winsrton Salem tonight mentioned BBQ King and I had to tell them about your request. We'll definitely have to swing by there next time you're in town. There and Price's Chicken Coop. The Coop will change your life. Seriously.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
MMMmmm, I'm in!

Hallogallo
audio school graduate

Post by Hallogallo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:46 am

cgarges wrote:Hey Adam, want to be a real hero? Tell them to go to the Surly Girl Saloon and order the Surly Girl pizza and a Burning River Pale Ale.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Oh man, I love Surly Girl. Great food and a fabulous beer selection. I need to take a trip up to Columbus and visit again.