Time-travelling engineers in Chicago...?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

TJN20
audio school

Time-travelling engineers in Chicago...?

Post by TJN20 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Hey, guys-

My first post here, but I've been a subscriber to Tape Op magazine for many many years, and LOVE it.

I'm a musician in Chicago, in a band that's getting ready to record; we are vocals, 12-string, drums, bass, electric guitars, piano, cello, viola, and violin. Kind of somewhere in-between Leonard Cohen/ Nick Drake and Led Zeppelin/ early soul, if we are doing it right...

I'm a fan of recordings pre-1969 and am trying to find a producer here that really likes that era of sound. As in, fanatical about it. Any advice as to how to find the right Recording Artist for our group? We really want to find someone as interested in the art of creative recording as a Brian Eno was. Does anyone know of anyone in Chicago?

Thanks,

T

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:12 am

PM sent
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:42 am

Mark Rubel is down in Champaign and an avid student AND teacher of recoring history. On top of that, he's a really creative and totally nice guy and I can't think of another guy in the midwest more qualified to make a successful recording like what you describe. Mark has an excellent collection of period-appropriate equipment at his studio (Pogo), including many choice pieces of gear given to him by Bill Putnam. Mark's also really fearless when it comes to any kind of recording technique or experimentation.

Did I mention that he's a totally awesome guy, too?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:30 pm

cgarges wrote:Mark Rubel is down in Champaign and an avid student AND teacher of recoring history. On top of that, he's a really creative and totally nice guy and I can't think of another guy in the midwest more qualified to make a successful recording like what you describe. Mark has an excellent collection of period-appropriate equipment at his studio (Pogo), including many choice pieces of gear given to him by Bill Putnam. Mark's also really fearless when it comes to any kind of recording technique or experimentation.

Did I mention that he's a totally awesome guy, too?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Mark and Pogo are well worth the drive.

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey Hey!

+1 for Mark Rubel.

On all possible counts, he's a guy you really wanna know.

And by the way, drumsound and cgarges are guys whose advice you really want to listen to.

-Archmart

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Hey Hey!

+1 for Mark Rubel.

On all possible counts, he's a guy you really wanna know.

And by the way, drumsound and cgarges are guys whose advice you really want to listen to.

-Archmart