Portland, OR

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

cgarges
zen recordist

Portland, OR

Post by cgarges » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:30 pm

Hey guys,

I may be in Portland for a day or two in December. What should I do that costs very little money and is it worth staying for an extra day to see or do anything specific? I've never been out there.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:39 pm

I would recommend you allot half a day to visit the columbia gorge vista house and historic highway. There are several really cool waterfalls along a 15-20 mile stretch of that highway.
http://vistahouse.com/faqs/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Will probably be relying on public transporation, as we'll be staying right near a metro stop. Won't be there long enough to justify car rental.

CG

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:02 pm

Do you mean things music related? Or tourist related? Or, what's your bag?

Go to Voodoo donuts (downtown they have a Klingon working there undercover) and get the donut with the bacon on top.

That's about all I can think of.

Do you like reading? Most book nerds are blown away by Powell's City of Books.

You should schedule a tour of Jackpot! Tell that guy, Larry, (I think) that you're thinking of cutting your next record there and maybe he'll show you his Neve.

We've got some good eating places. Delta Cafe? Oh, and shit, you've got to get yourself a Stumptown Latte. Stumptown, accept no substitutes. World-fucking-class coffee in a town known for its coffee.

Oh, and you should go over to this guy Carl's house, show him how to tune drums and help him build a big, huge lazy susan. It'll be fun.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:09 pm

Will be there with my wife, biut she's tolerant of anything fun. I plan on trying to check out Jackpot! Good restaurant recommendations are also appreciated.

CG

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:56 pm

hi Chris

you should definitely consider staying an extra day - most people I've know who visit have a great time (i know I did - ended up moving here).

Also, it is a long way to get here, and you may not be back for awhile ( except travel between California and Seattle, Portland is not really on the way to anything).

Which metro stop? Is it on the east or west side (of the river).
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:05 pm

No idea.

Things are tight for us right now, as this trip is the week before Christmas. We did a big Seattle vacation last year (centered around a wedding) and loved it, but we knew of a few things we wanted to do while we were there. I don't really know what's in Portland, but we have to make a decision about our return trip within the next day or two. So far, I have a coffee shop, a donut shop, a brewery, and a book store. Sounds like that could be done in a day. Convince me otherwise!

:D

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:57 pm

well, its kind of hard to answer, but here goes:

something I read years ago (in a tour-guide about Portland) really does ring true - Portland is more of a "zen" place - more about good at day-to-day experiences than particular places to see.

For a simple example, lets take the Voodoo donut shop Snarl mentioned above. It is a tiny shop, yet a Portland landmark.

Why? I mean the whole concept is silly. You stand in line to get into this downtown shop, sometimes more than 30 minutes in drizzling rain. Although there is some entertainment, due to the parade of Portlanders wandering by, at some point you will begin to ask yourself the simple question - why you are standing in line, when "it's only a "f@cking donut"? (as I've literally heard a cab driver yell at the line as he drove by).

However, perhaps to counter such naysayers and encourage the pilgrims, there is a another Portland landmark, right across the street from the line - a huge black and yellow sign painted across the side of a 4 story building - its simple message?

"Keep Portland Weird".

Anyway, once you are ultimately ushered into the Voodoo donut sanctuary, you find an ~ 15' X 15' room where they do all sorts of perverted things to donuts - things a man should never have to see, and things you may never get out of your head - giant donuts topped with crushed oreos. Or M&M's and bacon. Or shaped like enormous phalli.

So, anyway, the whole thing is kind of silly. But even my mom enjoyed the experience.

Or the Powells books Snarl mentioned - it is the largest independent bookstore in the country. Takes up a whole city block, and is 4 stories high. Family owned. They mix used and new books together. You can easily burn hours in there.

So, there are a lot of little bizarre things like that in Portland. Each on the surface not much to look at, but within, a lot of fun to experience.

I guess the closest corollary i can think of is Cambridge, MA or San Francisco, although both of those have gotten a bit gentrified in the last years.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:45 am

the chinese garden is very nice in december. if you package it up as a visit/tea/lunch, it will cost you about $20 a head. that sounds like it might be a hair over budget. but they have great lunch food, amazing tea served in a set for a kung fu movie the size of a city block.

http://www.portlandchinesegarden.org/
http://www.lansugarden.org/images/uploads/Food_Menu.pdf

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:08 pm

A walk in forest park can be really nice, especially in the rain, although, IMO, kinda pointless without a dog or two.

You should go to Common Ground Wellness Center for a Sauna/Hot tub. Rock out with your cock out.

Most first time Powell'sers want to spend a whole day there. Seriously.

Mt. Tabor park is really cool too. Active volcano.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:55 pm

If you like to wander around and window shop, try http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/ , SE Hawthorne, and NW 23rd. Lots of arts and crafts/clothes/music/books/restaurants, etc.
my band: Mission 5

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:.....
dude I hope that's a typo, 'cause I live about 15 blocks away from that park (over in the Hawthorne).

I thought Tabor was an INactive volcano.

Or did the real estate agent lie about that too?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:38 am

roygbiv wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:.....
dude I hope that's a typo, 'cause I live about 15 blocks away from that park (over in the Hawthorne).

I thought Tabor was an INactive volcano.
Don't have nightmares about this - the Tabor volcano is extinct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tabor_%28Oregon%29

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 am

Garges - the Portland Japanese garden is beautiful, forested, and one of the best in the world outside of Japan. It's on a hill overlooking downtown, next to Forest Park - not to be confused with the aforementioned Chinese garden which is right *in* downtown.

http://japanesegarden.com/

So, if you'd like to combine a visit to the woods with some peaceful garden visiting, yet stay close to downtown, it's a good spot.

Also, whatever you decide to do in town, if you're on public transport, this website is your friend: http://trimet.org/

If we're in town when you're visiting, and you want to grab a drink with a local, drop a line!

cheers,
Leigh

Marwood Williams
pluggin' in mics

Post by Marwood Williams » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:51 pm

+1 on the Saturday Market. There's also some cool music stores - (I seem to remember a cool place on 1st Ave) not too far from the Market.

If you like beer - be sure to sample some fine PNW microbrews. Deschutes Brew Pub in the Pearl District has a very good selection and decent enough food too.