Michael Joly "Disappeared" from GS

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Michael Joly "Disappeared" from GS

Post by RodC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Anyone else get this email, what the heck went on over there?

I Was "Disappeared"
Michael Joly - Founder, OktavaMod

Dear Folks,
All of my content posted to Gearslutz has been removed by the moderators.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:59 pm

what the email didn't say was that Mr. Joly plans to build a Very Large Array constructed from the spent Chinese mic capsules stockpiled behind his alley and focus it on the planet Gearslutz...and IT will disappear.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:12 pm

You are so right!

And Joel Patterson is providing the mind control module!

mammoth cave
audio school

Post by mammoth cave » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Haha. Michael, I feel left out as I didn't get the personal email...
BUT i did recieve a package from you yesterday with my modded TCM1050 and two 2003A's. Just in time for a backing vocal session. I was excited to try the 1050. Sounds great so far. I'm eager to try it out on a range of voices and other duties in the near future.

Good to see you still kicking it here at Tape Op. I learned a lot from your posts over the years.
-Tim

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:51 am

Michael_Joly wrote:You are so right!

And Joel Patterson is providing the mind control module!
Hey, what the-- for the third time, I'm telling you-- I don't know this guy! Crucify him already!!!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:23 pm

You're always welcome here, Michael

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:32 pm

drumsound wrote:You're always welcome here, Michael
Hey, speak for yourself, we don't know what he did to piss off the slutz. Or at least I don't. I think it's pretty classy for him not to explain it, but I'm just saying. History has a way of repeating itself.

Just joking. From everything I've seen, MJ is a class act. The same can't be said, necessarily, for GS.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, they are slutz after all. Why should we expect decent behavior?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Is there any way we can NOT have a thread solely dedicated to whatever drama might have happened on a totally different pro audio forum?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:26 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Hey, speak for yourself, we don't know what he did to piss off the slutz. Or at least I don't. I think it's pretty classy for him not to explain it, but I'm just saying. History has a way of repeating itself.

Just joking. From everything I've seen, MJ is a class act. The same can't be said, necessarily, for GS.
Thanks for th supportive words. The story is cached here. Its been whitewashed over at GS.

In a nutshell: The moderators moved a post of mine to make it look like I was spamming "Geekslutz", did not state that moderators had moved the post, then reprimanded me for something I didn't do and locked down the Geekslutz thread.

I told them what I thought of that dirty trick in no uncertain terms. "shameless" and "lacking balls". Within minutes I was Ghosted.

Good riddance I say.

I'll be launching my own blog and OktavaMod user content area in about a week. Please stop in to share words and sounds. best, M

ElectricMess
ass engineer

fuck gearslutz

Post by ElectricMess » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:52 pm

I have been kicked off boards before for similarly not good reasons and i have also interacted with michael enough to know he is not someone who should be banned from a forum about audio equipment.

its ridiculous and the engineering community should not stand for it. I say destroy gearslutz immediately!

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Forums on the internet generally are on the mercy of their nepotistic moderators. Usually they hold no accountability even towards the users, unless they pay a membership fee. In other words: the moderators have no obligation towards good journalistic practice or even fairness - it's their forum and they can do what they please with it. Of course the users have no obligation to remain should they feel that the moderators are out of line...

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:42 am

cgarges wrote:Is there any way we can NOT have a thread solely dedicated to whatever drama might have happened on a totally different pro audio forum?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
+1

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:14 am

I just dont understand how you get banned from a board like that, it seems like anything goes. (Can be good/bad double edge sword ect...)

I guess its like Steven Adler gettin kicked out of GnR for too much drug use :shock:
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:39 am

Excellent news! Having Jolly here is a huge plus. He is an excellent writer and valuable member. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more of his posts. I think what happened to him on GS is BS.
One of the reasons I'm here is because of the lack of politics and the level of respect that abides here.