Seeking engineer in NYC

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

NoamSane
audio school

Seeking engineer in NYC

Post by NoamSane » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:39 am

Seeking an engineer in NYC to record music for a short independent dance film.
Quick hit kind of session: 1 song, plus 2 short bits for an interlude & outro probably recorded separately. Record and mix in one day-long session.

Intending to record some time between April 22 - 30

The music is basically an early '60s pop/rock 'n' roll sound, so I prefer someone who has at least some affinity for that music and old reverb styles.

If you're interested or can recommend someone, get in touch by email (address is in my profile).

Thanks,
J

AndyHutchinson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AndyHutchinson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Check out Strange Weather and The Bunker, both in Brooklyn. I've had the privilege of working with the guys there and they're all fantastic engineers, with really nice gear, and, more importantly, good ears. Good luck

NoamSane
audio school

Post by NoamSane » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks much. I'll check them out.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:56 pm

thanks for the kind words, andy!

drop me an email at john AT thebunkerstudio.com or a PM if you want to come check out the studio.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:03 pm

AndyHutchinson wrote:Check out Strange Weather and The Bunker, both in Brooklyn. I've had the privilege of working with the guys there and they're all fantastic engineers, with really nice gear, and, more importantly, good ears. Good luck
Totally. Both those places are great, especially for a vintage reverb vibe, and for having guys who'd actually get what you're trying to do. Seriously, they were also two of the first spots that popped into my head for this kind of thing.

Of course, if you want to see reviews of like every studio in Brooklyn, you can search my articles SonicScoop.com. I think these guys have both been featured recently as part of our NYC studio tour series:

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2011/04/14/ny ... yn-part-2/

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2011/01/26/cl ... he-bunker/

AndyHutchinson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AndyHutchinson » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Cheers, John. Best of luck with the new place!

AndyHutchinson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AndyHutchinson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:54 pm

BTW, to the OP, I like your handle. In text messages, I usually spell it Gnome Sane, but I like you're spelling as well.

NoamSane
audio school

Post by NoamSane » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:32 am

Hey thanks Andy. Years ago I had this whole scenario worked out for these 2 fictional characters, Noam Sane, the hip hop linguist, and his hypeman Sol Goode.

NoamSane
audio school

Post by NoamSane » Fri May 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks to everyone that replied to this. I "met" quite a few cool folks--it was an overflow of good possible people & places to record with/at.

I ended up at the Bunker in Williamsburg earlier this week. It was a great experience. Nice sounding rooms, comfortable vibe, great gear. Aaron Nevezie recorded and mixed my project and was a dream to work with from quick set-up and all the way through helping me get my cluttered arrangement in shape with his mixing skill. He understood what I was aiming for and that made it so much easier to achieve. Real plate reverb and mixing down to 1/4" tape really helped me achieve the proper sound.

I'm a Bunker believer.

When the track is mastered I'll post a link in case anyone is interested in hearing it.