Pachyderm studio in Cannon Falls up for sale

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

treble king
gimme a little kick & snare

Pachyderm studio in Cannon Falls up for sale

Post by treble king » Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 am

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... -for-sale/

I recorded there several times with the handsome and talented Brent Sigmeth. (Who's still working his own studio, btw.)

Anybody want to start a 'cordin' co-op? :?
I'm in for two, and I can pay.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 am

Very sad. I always had the fantasy of recording there. (You know -- after achieving fame and fortune.)

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon May 02, 2011 11:11 am

Would be awesome but I think the overhead is quite high just in utilities and taxes, not to mention bringing the house and studio back up to par. Not as cheap as it appears...

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Tue May 03, 2011 4:08 am

Worked there since they opened in 89/90,mostly with Brent. Hope someone buys it and scrubs the slacker hippy stink out of the place,and I dunno-fixes all the gear,if there's any left. Last time I recorded there they hadn't tracked to tape in 2 years,no automation,and half the Neve didn't work. A wonderful sounding room to record in,but that cool house needs some SERIOUS maintenance,and about 15 fewer helpers around,doing nothing. Probably be easier and cheaper to knock down the Flintstones-esque house,and rebuild. There used to be a big old abandoned Tuberculosis sanitarium down the road
that was cool as hell.
I am the Walnut

brent sigmeth
audio school

Post by brent sigmeth » Tue May 03, 2011 10:56 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:There used to be a big old abandoned Tuberculosis sanitarium down the road
that was cool as hell.
Hey fellas. Had to re-register to post. Strangely enough, I'm living in the old doctor's house for that TB sanitorium (1930). What a great area. Be pretty cool if I had a kick-ass studio to book time in a mile down the road from me again!!! We'll see. Cheers ...

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue May 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Burnt Ernie wrote:Hope someone buys it and scrubs the slacker hippy stink out of the place,and I dunno-fixes all the gear,if there's any left.
That's funny. I had a friend invite me to some hippy party out there. I said, uhhh, fuck no.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Tue May 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Hey,Brent! Great to hear you on here! Not like I'm here that much,But I miss you,dude! Say Hello to Broenen for me! If you get that place,I'll come down maybe we can redo that house! Sorry that The Gear Daddies thing never happened-I was kinda hoping for it,too.

BTW-what's red,orange,and yellow and looks good on hippies?

Fire.
I am the Walnut

brent sigmeth
audio school

Post by brent sigmeth » Tue May 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Burnt Ernie wrote:Hey,Brent! Great to hear you on here! Not like I'm here that much,But I miss you,dude! Say Hello to Broenen for me! If you get that place,I'll come down maybe we can redo that house! Sorry that The Gear Daddies thing never happened-I was kinda hoping for it,too.

BTW-what's red,orange,and yellow and looks good on hippies?

Fire.
Oh, cripes ... I miss you like the dickens as well ... we had some times in that space, didn't we? I will say "hey" to Broenen (fer cripes, he should buy the place, dammit). More soon, I'm sure --- old connections never die in the recording business ...we just keep getting more broke.

Burnt Ernie - E-Bomb - what the ....

Great to hear from you! More soon,

Brent

bipedal
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bipedal » Wed May 04, 2011 10:44 am

Wow.

My band had the chance to do a quick recording session there in the summer of '95 (I think) -- maybe 36 hrs during a hole in the studio's schedule, engineered by a friend who was interning there at the time, Jason West (Mr. West -- you lurking around these parts?)

It was the ultimate 'we had no business recording in that environment, but the opportunity came up' situation, as we hadn't been playing together for very long, had played only a few shows, and in retrospect I'm comfortable saying that our music really wasn't very good. My band never got around to doing much with the tracks we did there, but the setting / the experience / the space was mighty cool at the time, and will stick in my memory banks. (The drum tracks sounded great.) I have to dig out those recordings and give 'em a fresh listen.

Hope someone can step forward and give that place some new life.
I like recording stuff.
Bassist, guitarist, pedal builder, recovering music snob.