Tunecore says typical artist sells $179 of music a year

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Here's why: Acknowledging the fact that Jeff is pretty much lying in a bed of his own making, I have noticed something of a knee-jerk reaction to almost anything he says on this board. Granted, I don't know all of the history perhaps, I've been around here awhile but I'm still kind of a new guy, but I can say that I've seen a few seemingly innocent posts/questions get shredded in flames for no apparent reason, other than perhaps the sticky residue of some past unpleasantness that has people on-edge and irritable...
Exactly what's wrong with this poorly moderated messageboard. Advertisers actually suppor this shit. At some point, this is about turning the blind eye for access to the 'gear buying public' and this makes Larry Crane famous. This magazine is what happens when you let the everyman into the Engine Room of the Record making machine! Look at the angst on this board!
Whatever. I'll continue to direct program for those that can't think for themselves! lol

Also, note the truly professional tone of each of the moderators on this board- and you guys support this too! Truly a hallmark of a future IPO company...the more competition the better I say.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu May 26, 2011 10:52 pm

If you don't like it, you're more than welcome to leave.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu May 26, 2011 10:58 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:
dwlb wrote:Update: It's about 45% at home.
Hilarious, but you won't disclose how much your bands CD earned on Tunecore!!!!

Hypocrite!
Wait, what?

Hypocrite?

After dodging direct questions on this board for years, you have the stones to call ME a hypocrite because I won't play your little numbers game? That is seriously out of line.

I have in no way been hypocritical. Reporting the percentage of played vs. unplayed music on my home iTunes isn't the same as disclosing financial information. Willingness to do one has nothing to do with being unwilling to do the other.

You know what, Jeff, I've been making a hell of an effort to not jump on you, to agree with you when I can, and when I do disagree, to do so in a reasonable manner. You chose to go straight to mockery and name-calling, so I guess you've decided the gloves are off with me the same way you decided to wage war on MoreSpaceEcho and subatomic. Fine; if you want to set fire to this bridge, just keep it up.

Also: my music isn't on Tunecore. It is on CD Baby and iTunes and Amazon, as well as a number of other digital distribution channels.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri May 27, 2011 4:41 am

Of course, seeing the "Big Picture" in the message board field has not always been my strong suit... I'm often wrong. Perhaps in my last post, for instance...

GJ

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri May 27, 2011 6:25 am

Hello, Jeff Robinson of Third Monk Studios, aka "@?,*???&?"! You're entitled to whatever opinions you want to have, but you've got to quit it with the personal attacks on anyone who disagrees with you. Are you just trying to get kicked of the board at this point? Would it make you happier and help resolve some of the cognitive dissonance about your own stalled career if you declare Tape Op as an enemy?

Tape Op is a free magazine and a labor of love. We're all here because we appreciate the its outlook, content, and the niche it fills in the world. If you really hate it and want to bash on it, can you go to board where people are into that instead? There's a lot of forums out there. I dunno, try gearslutz or something. Please come back when you're ready to relax, and try not to make others feel uncomfortable.
Gregg Juke wrote:Of course, seeing the "Big Picture" in the message board field has not always been my strong suit... I'm often wrong. Perhaps in my last post, for instance...
Haha. Well, your heart was in the right place!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri May 27, 2011 7:10 am

@?,*???&? wrote:This magazine is what happens when you let the everyman into the Engine Room of the Record making machine!
You still haven't offered any proof that you're not an (albeit more frustrated, arrogant, and OBVIOUSLY DELUSIONAL) "everyman" just like the rest of us.

Best I can tell, you haven't worked on a legitimate record that would live up to all of your posturing since you left Master Control years ago.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 27, 2011 8:40 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Of course, seeing the "Big Picture" in the message board field has not always been my strong suit... I'm often wrong. Perhaps in my last post, for instance...

GJ
Like fossiltooth said, your heart is in the right place. Awhile ago, I noticed the same pattern you pointed out, and decided to not just knee-jerk at Jeffty when he posted anything. It wasn't easy, because I'm snarky by nature, but I hoped to be able to give measured responses when I disagreed with him, and give a bit of a nod when he said something I agree with. Which, occasionally, he does.

I don't know why I expected that being more reasonable would result in a saner dialog between @?,*???&? and the rest of us. It clearly just brings out the bully in him even more.

To fossiltooth's other point: yeah, it seems as though Jeff really despises the board, the people here, and the general vibe of the place. It makes me wonder why he's here. I've left messageboards when I felt that way about them.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 27, 2011 2:40 pm

man, jeff, what is your deal? are you off your meds or something? these posts are ridiculous even for you.