Tunecore says typical artist sells $179 of music a year

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 11, 2011 1:54 pm

fossiltooth wrote:I say the problem today aren't the pervasive truths that people love to make music, and that's it's hard to make money doing it- The problem today is our lack of great filters and trustworthy outlets.
Interesting because I've said since 2001, that there are no critics anymore with the internet. You say 'filters' I say 'critics'- same thing.

You imply, critics/filters can help sell records, or...?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Bro Shark wrote:It first glance I thought this said "Tunacore," like some dumb new trend the mall kids are into or something.
Shark/Tuna, I get it. A fish thing.

btw, the Sharks are toast tomorrow.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed May 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Heh. If not, you're eating octopus!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Bro Shark wrote:Heh. If not, you're eating octopus!
Uh, no. Here in Hockeytown, we throw those things on the ice...

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed May 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Yeah. Guess my joke fell flat - as usual.

Carri on...

PeterTuneCore
audio school

Post by PeterTuneCore » Thu May 12, 2011 12:48 pm

Why would not having a barcode or an ISRC make something illegitimate? Well, moot question, anyone using TuneCore gets a UPC, a barcode, and a song code that functions exactly the same way as an ISRC, all free and included.

But if you ask me, what legitimizes an artist is the act of creating: if they make music, they're legitimate to me--and to the government, who grants them all their rights instantly (more on the Six Rights all artists get here: http://tunecore.typepad.com/survivalman ... rights.pdf).

And once an artist has made music, they have the right to sell it anywhere they want. In the old days, they couldn't place themselves on the shelves of a store like Virgin or Tower. Now we have iTunes and AmazonMP3 and many more, and those can be reached. We made TuneCore to help them, and provide all the tools they need, without forcing them to give up their rights or masters.

The fans can decide what's legitimate, by listening, buying, supporting the artists. That's the only legitimacy that counts in a marketplace, after all.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com

@?,*???&? wrote:
kslight wrote:Yeah but this is for Tunecore, a service generally dominated by amateur bands without label representation or management.
*cough* You mean like non-barcoded, non-ISRC'd digital only, illegitimate releases? *cough*

bwaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha
Peter Wells
peter@tunecore.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu May 12, 2011 1:03 pm

PeterTuneCore wrote:Why would not having a barcode or an ISRC make something illegitimate?
Peter,

That's one of Jeff's pet things, and it's become sort of an in-joke hereabouts.

Thank you for chiming in about your service. Good to get that info straight from the source.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 12, 2011 1:43 pm

PeterTuneCore wrote:The fans can decide what's legitimate, by listening, buying, supporting the artists. That's the only legitimacy that counts in a marketplace, after all.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
$179 a year for your typical Tunecore artist means the band can spend approximately 5.1 hours at $35 per hour producing/recording/mixing their release and no more if they expect to break even.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 12, 2011 2:03 pm

btw, I just came across this post from Peter at Tunecore from a thread on Gearslutz:

"Well, pretty obviously I think we're best. I do know we're the fastest: can get things live on iTunes within SIX HOURS. 24 hours for most everyone.

So drop me a line if you have any questions about us. Best!"

And yet a record I finished was sent to Tunecore back at the beginning of April and is still waiting for iTunes placement...obviously THEY CAN do it within 6 hours, but don't.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu May 12, 2011 5:54 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:btw, I just came across this post from Peter at Tunecore from a thread on Gearslutz:

"Well, pretty obviously I think we're best. I do know we're the fastest: can get things live on iTunes within SIX HOURS. 24 hours for most everyone.

And yet a record I finished was sent to Tunecore back at the beginning of April and is still waiting for iTunes placement...obviously THEY CAN do it within 6 hours, but don't.
Did you tell them about your time at Master Control? Maybe they just don't know who they're dealing with.

FWIW, my label currently has 6 albums digitally distributed via Tunecore. They were all live on iTunes within 24 hours.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Did you tell them about your time at Master Control? Maybe they just don't know who they're dealing with.
Oh man, I CAN NOT stop laughing at this one. Well-played, sir, well-played.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 13, 2011 9:49 am

Tears, I tell you. Holy cow...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 13, 2011 11:25 am

have we reached the point in the thread where jeff disappears?

PeterTuneCore
audio school

Post by PeterTuneCore » Fri May 13, 2011 11:58 am

FYI, that "$179" thing is a nonsense number created by someone unconnected to TuneCore, who is missing considerable data. You can put it out of your mind, it's meaningless.

The idea of an "average artist" cracks me up, even as a mathematical concept. I've never even met an artist who described their music as "average." ;)

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
@?,*???&? wrote:
PeterTuneCore wrote:The fans can decide what's legitimate, by listening, buying, supporting the artists. That's the only legitimacy that counts in a marketplace, after all.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
$179 a year for your typical Tunecore artist means the band can spend approximately 5.1 hours at $35 per hour producing/recording/mixing their release and no more if they expect to break even.
Peter Wells
peter@tunecore.com

PeterTuneCore
audio school

Post by PeterTuneCore » Fri May 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Computers are dumb, they don't know the difference between a superstar's music files and someone just starting out. So everyone gets the 24-hour turn around.

Sounds to me like you didn't get 24-hour turn time? That means something may have gone wrong. Write support@tunecore.com. That goes for anyone: if your music isn't live 24-48 (there are holidays and weekends and sometimes iTunes has a backlog, nothing's perfect) after you've finished putting it through our system, you just write our support staff, we'll find out what's going on and make it right.

No favoritism! Everyone's equal. One of the things I like most about TuneCore.

--Peter

@?,*???&? wrote:btw, I just came across this post from Peter at Tunecore from a thread on Gearslutz:

Peter Wells
peter@tunecore.com