Tunecore says typical artist sells $179 of music a year

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu May 19, 2011 1:50 pm

How many lines make up a legitimate bar code?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Wow.

Dudes--David Coverdale is my uncle.

(No, not really.)

But seriously-- When does Tony come in and say "Looks like this one's run it's course?"

GJ

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon May 23, 2011 8:35 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Jeff,
You're the one with all of these ridiculous qualifiers for what counts as legitimate or not. In the last 5 years, how many of the records that you've worked on have ACTUALLY had a budget over $10,000?
All of them. What do you think I do for a living?

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Mon May 23, 2011 9:30 am

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/ ... on-salary/

looks like this is where the money is.
the riaa worked very hard to shut down an independent online broadcast that i ran for years called zero art radio. i never made a dime, just promoted good music and artists. good to see they are still doing "okay"

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon May 23, 2011 9:48 am

@?,*???&? wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:Jeff,
You're the one with all of these ridiculous qualifiers for what counts as legitimate or not. In the last 5 years, how many of the records that you've worked on have ACTUALLY had a budget over $10,000?
All of them. What do you think I do for a living?
To be fair Jeff, none of those projects are listed on Allmusic, which despite its faults, is a place many of us go to see if a particular release might be considered "legitimate", or relevant, in a commercial sense. It tends to be a better indicator of commercial credibility than a barcode, which can be obtained easily.

Is this a pet peeve of yours because your clients aren't going the route of making their records commercially available, or are you more involved on the pre-production and demo end for bands that more established labels are "just trying out"?

Those are the only sensible explanations I could think of offhand. I believe many of us are sincerely confused by your stance on all this, and would like to understand where you're coming from with some of these more.... provocative posts.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon May 23, 2011 10:26 am

It took him 4 days to decide that he was gonna give a non-answer. You're not likely to get more clarification.

From what I've gathered over the years, from checking out Jeff's discography, and looking into bands known to have worked with Third Monk or Jeff, he seems to determine "legitimacy" based more on the artists' willingness and ability to pay him for the variety of marketable services that he provides, than any other factor. He pays lip service to things like barcodes. And, he'd have you believe that he turns down more work than most of us take on, because the artists aren't serious about HIS vision for their recording project. But, it appears to all be bullshit. Or, at least unverifiable posturing.

Between Jeff's opinions being so out of touch with the realities of record production in the modern era, to his arrogance and self-acknowledged sour attitude with potential clients, my guess is that Jeff just doesn't have many credits from the last few years that he's proud of and that clearly fit his definition of "legitimate".

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 25, 2011 10:30 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Blah, blah, blah
Don't you see how your conjecture isolates you?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 pm

What are you talking about? You've given him absolutely EVERY REASON IN THE WORLD TO BELIEVE THAT!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu May 26, 2011 10:48 am

@?,*???&? wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:Blah, blah, blah
Don't you see how your conjecture isolates you?
With all due respect Jeff, I don't think subatomic's take is a very isolated one.

Whether you intend it or not, many of your posts on subjects like this come across as arrogant, conceited, self-interested or bitter, and naturally have some people asking questions about your background and angle. This is especially true when a generally valuable and constructive poster like a subatomic or garges feel like you're purposefully stepping on toes, or being cruel and dismissive of the everyday working musicians, engineers, producers, bands, neophytes, fans interns and hobbysists that make up this awesome board.

Now can we let this petty bullshit drops and talk about sounds and technology and music and fun shit like that? Please and thanks. With cherries and shit like that. At this point, it's just dragging down the board, which is otherwise a cool place to share ideas, and show our love for recording, and the TapOp mag.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Thu May 26, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 26, 2011 11:11 am

...Half of a "+1" to Justin (so, that's actually "+1/2").

Here's why: Acknowledging the fact that Jeff is pretty much lying in a bed of his own making, I have noticed something of a knee-jerk reaction to almost anything he says on this board. Granted, I don't know all of the history perhaps, I've been around here awhile but I'm still kind of a new guy, but I can say that I've seen a few seemingly innocent posts/questions get shredded in flames for no apparent reason, other than perhaps the sticky residue of some past unpleasantness that has people on-edge and irritable...

Perhaps Jeff is the way many of you describe him. I don't know; I've never met him other than here at the board! I'd be making a pretty ridiculous jump in logic to make such a presumption.

So, in the spirit of keeping this place as cool as the Lawgiver (Larry) intended, we should all probably ease-up a bit and wait-a-minute before assuming the worst, lest we fall into the unsalvageable malaise of gearsluttyness...

GJ

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Another hot stat just reported- We listen to 19% of the music we own. Now, this stat is for the typical iTunes song collection. Could we extrapolate and say the same about our CD collections?

http://www.fmqb.com/goout.asp?u=http:// ... gle-music/

Does the long tail factor in to this?

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu May 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Gregg, you just earned the other half point.

And Jeff, that is an interesting statistic about people only listening to a minority of music that they buy. I think it's believable, and someone could use it to make a good anti-piracy argument if they were so inclined (and not a total jerk about it).

As for the long tail, I think it's sometimes a valuable concept, but I'm not sure it applies to that particular stat- unless you're suggesting that buying one really good record just makes people want to buy more of them. I can vouche for that. In effect, a "long tail" in an industry can be awesome:

"Hey! Someone just invented the lightbulb/internal-combustion-engine/sliced bread/calendar/guitar! Let's all make a lot of those and try to make them easily available at a lower cost"

Or it can be terrible, and just a plain bad financial decision (especially if you're too late):

"Hey someone just made a jillion dollars on a meteor-movie/disease-epidemic-movie/pop-star-vehicle/r&B boy band/Blink-182-sound-alike-band... let's do that too!"

Anyways, all I'm tryin' to say is: let's be civil.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Thu May 26, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu May 26, 2011 1:27 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Another hot stat just reported- We listen to 19% of the music we own. Now, this stat is for the typical iTunes song collection. Could we extrapolate and say the same about our CD collections?

http://www.fmqb.com/goout.asp?u=http:// ... gle-music/

Does the long tail factor in to this?
Answering in reverse order:

2) Long Tail theory tends to apply to purchases, rather than post-purchase consumption. So I'd say probably not.

1) Given that iTunes enables the consumer to selectively purchase songs in a way that buying CDs does not, I'd predict that the percentage would be even lower for CD collections.

Also: I don't trust that 19% figure for iTunes. Out of purely unscientific curiosity I'll look at my iTunes at home and see what my numbers are. (On my work iTunes, it's around 47%.)
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu May 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Update: It's about 45% at home.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 26, 2011 10:39 pm

dwlb wrote:Update: It's about 45% at home.
Hilarious, but you won't disclose how much your bands CD earned on Tunecore!!!!

Hypocrite!