Why would an artist have a myspace page today...

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Mon May 23, 2011 9:18 am

@?,*???&? wrote: *cough* Can you Facebook fans playlist Facebook bands and do the bands get paid for the streams? *cough*
Maybe I'm woefully ignorant, but does an "artist gets paid when some random donkey on a social networking site plays his mp3" arrangement exist anywhere?.

Pandora, I guess ... but it's not really comparable to something like facebook or myspace, etc. Also as far as I know it's not like you can just show up to pandora and be like "here's my awesome mp3's play them and pay me please". I imagine you'd need a label, etc, etc.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Re: Why would an artist have a myspace page today...

Post by fossiltooth » Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 am

@?,*???&? wrote:I disagree based simply on the fact that Bandcamp is not a social networking site.
To each their own. That happens to be one of the primary reasons I like Bandcamp: No ability to see how many 'likes' or 'plays' something has, no cringeworthy comments, no over-the top customization, no artificial following based on disinterested parties befriending each-other for virtual-networking-only purposes.

It's just a page that has a picture and some music, with the option to buy. A nice, clean, minimal presentation of what's most important: The artist, their sound, ideas and aesthetic. Essentials only. I dig it. I think we could bring back some separation between pervasive "networking", and what is (ideally) at the end of the day, art. Some small degree of specialization can be a good thing.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Mon May 23, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 23, 2011 3:29 pm

FWIW, I have a myspage just to blog a bit; it's where I started.

I stayed offa the band pages and I embedded the soundclick player on a regular page. (It's here, if you feel you must.)

I also have stuff at bandcamp which is for the above-mentioned reasons far superior, but, again, ain't no blog.

I love bandcamp and do "CD"-type 16 bit 44.1 releases there (free! for now), using soundclick for the quick 128kps uploads.

I don't really go to myspace, otherwise, so I don't knw re its speed; spam is minimal, just the occasional cyber-hookers.

It was faceshot, was it not, that had security problems recently?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:07 am

Anyone remember when bands didn't have websites at all?
Last edited by jkelly222 on Wed May 25, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:13 am

fossiltooth wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:I disagree based simply on the fact that Bandcamp is not a social networking site.
To each their own. That happens to be one of the primary reasons I like Bandcamp: No ability to see how many 'likes' or 'plays' something has, no cringeworthy comments, no over-the top customization, no artificial following based on disinterested parties befriending each-other for virtual-networking-only purposes.

It's just a page that has a picture and some music, with the option to buy. A nice, clean, minimal presentation of what's most important: The artist, their sound, ideas and aesthetic. Essentials only. I dig it. I think we could bring back some separation between pervasive "networking", and what is (ideally) at the end of the day, art. Some small degree of specialization can be a good thing.
Couldn't agree more. About two months ago I removed our facebook and myspace pages both because of the social networking factor. I couldn't stand it anymore. We MIGHT make a bandcamp or something similar but I am enjoying the complete lack of an internet presence (outside of the sites I have no control of IE our record labels site,last.fm/youtube etc)
Last edited by jkelly222 on Wed May 25, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marwood Williams
pluggin' in mics

RE: Why would an artist have a myspace page today

Post by Marwood Williams » Tue May 24, 2011 10:35 am

I think you are much better off with Wordpress and music hosting sites like Bandcamp and soundcloud. Wordpress is an excellent program with great (and free) themes and plug-ins that help give you the site that you want.
You have a lot more control over your content and prospective listeners will not be bombarded with the obnoxious (and browser crashing) graphics of My Space.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

In Case Anyone Here Can Help Me (PLEASE!)

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

So, speaking of MySpace (not "MoreSpace...", which is entirely different), I've tried to cancel my account like, six or seven times at least. It will not shut the heck down, no matter how many times I click the link and fill-out the forms... I keep getting e-mails and new "friends."

I don't want it anymore. For all of the reasons folks have mentioned, _plus_, it's WAY worse after the "wonderful new format change," where anyone seems to be able to "friend" me without my consent or knowledge.

So, is anyone else having this kind of trouble (shutting the piece of junk bandwidth-waster down)? Anyone have any ideas for me?

GJ

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue May 24, 2011 11:54 am

Hahahahahaha!!! Myspace was hacked today! All myspace links went to this page.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue May 24, 2011 11:55 am

jkelly222 wrote:Anyone remember when bands didn't have websites at all?
Totally. The Brooklyn band Cults has been doing surprisingly well for themselves notoriety-wise without a real website or any biographical information.

Last I checked they had a simple bandcamp, a youtube video and a text-only typewriter-style site that listed upcoming shows. In fact, it's been so astonishing to the echo chamber that every blog and media outlet seems to mention this and marvels at their "un-google-able" band name.

(In case you're interested they sound like a cross between The Ronettes and Peter Bjorn and John to my ears. You can stream their upcoming release on NPR for now. There are some good moments for sure: http://n.pr/jUd0VA)
Gregg Juke wrote:So, speaking of MySpace (not "MoreSpace...", which is entirely different), I've tried to cancel my account like, six or seven times at least. It will not shut the heck down, no matter how many times I click the link and fill-out the forms...
Really common problem. They're finding it impossible to retain users through (haha) "legitimate" means. Does anyone else smell a class-action lawsuit in the wings?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 25, 2011 11:27 am

jkelly222 wrote:About two months ago I removed our facebook and myspace pages both because of the social networking factor. I couldn't stand it anymore.
And therein lies the problem with the artist, it's about the fans, not about the artist. The artist craves recognition, but is unlikely to give any in return. It's just the artistic nature, which is why social networking works against the artistic desire. IF the artist could passively network and not actually have to do anything, they'd probably like social networking. Wait? What?

Let me put it a different way, "Artists are inherently lazy."

I have so many conversations with bands/artists who just want to get on the fast track and get signed to a major label tomorrow and be famous just as quick.

Like it's that easy.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 25, 2011 12:12 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:
jkelly222 wrote:About two months ago I removed our facebook and myspace pages both because of the social networking factor. I couldn't stand it anymore.
And therein lies the problem with the artist, it's about the fans, not about the artist. The artist craves recognition, but is unlikely to give any in return. It's just the artistic nature, which is why social networking works against the artistic desire. IF the artist could passively network and not actually have to do anything, they'd probably like social networking. Wait? What?
I was puzzled by this as well, to be honest. I don't know why a promotional tool that facilitates social networking would be undesirable for someone who is trying to get more people into his/her music. Music is a social art form, or can be, especially if it's the kind that you play in bars instead of orchestra halls.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Wed May 25, 2011 12:15 pm

@?,*???&? wrote: And therein lies the problem with the artist, it's about the fans, not about the artist. The artist craves recognition, but is unlikely to give any in return. It's just the artistic nature, which is why social networking works against the artistic desire. IF the artist could passively network and not actually have to do anything, they'd probably like social networking. Wait? What?.
While that's true for some "artists", I don't think that's necessarily the case for the most of them I've met. By and large, I find artists (who give a crap about their art) want to find an audience and interact with them. Which is what social networking is all about.

I mean Lady Gaga may view her massive ringtone-fan customer base as a faceless mob of adoring supporters that she'd rather manage from a distance ... but your average musician that's going nowhere (and knows it) and is doing it because he or she loves it, is probably willing to engage in a little back and fourth on facebook.

Then again, I've never met Gaga, but I've met plenty of the later.
So maybe my perspective is skewed.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed May 25, 2011 12:23 pm

dwlb wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
I was puzzled by this as well, to be honest. I don't know why a promotional tool that facilitates social networking would be undesirable for someone who is trying to get more people into his/her music. Music is a social art form, or can be, especially if it's the kind that you play in bars instead of orchestra halls.
Perhaps said hypothetical artist is out in the real world performing in front of people and meeting them in person rather than being their fucking "friend" on the internet?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Bro Shark wrote:
dwlb wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
Perhaps said hypothetical artist is out in the real world performing in front of people and meeting them in person rather than being their fucking "friend" on the internet?
Man, you just love to get in my face right off, don't you?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I read it, this thread is about the methods bands can use to connect with their audiences on the internet, and the strengths and weaknesses of the available options. At no point did I or anyone else say a band should not try to function socially in the real world. Let me ask the question in a different way:

Assuming an artist is not prone to leaping into confrontational situations and leading with hostility online, why would he or she not want to use an online tool that facilitates social contact online as an extension of the connections his band has made in person?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 pm

dwlb, my vitriol misfired. I didn't it mean it towards you, more just .. the idea. Sorry if I came off the wrong way (again).

See, this is one of the problems with the stupid internet. Nothing makes sense. I can't accurately convey my vitriol and sarcasm, which was never intended towards you, but rather towards something being discussed. If we were in person I probably wouldn't even have to consider it. I'd just be me, and you'd probably get me, and we'd have a laugh and maybe exchange CDs and I'd give you one of my band's t-shirts.