Why would an artist have a myspace page today...

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Thu May 26, 2011 3:42 pm

I do think it's responsible to remove your band/music stuff from myspace, and therefore not encourage people to visit that awful place. I plan to do that soon.

There are a lot of cool tools out there now - like Bandcamp for instance - but the best long-term bet is to own and control your own web content, and thus avoid getting stuck on the "next myspace" in the future. The easiest way to do that at this time is to buy a domain, get hosting, and install a nice content management app like Wordpress, which requires almost zero skill to use, upgrade and maintain.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree that having a website is pretty dad-gum important (shameless plug for an in-need of updating site: www.MightyNoStars.com ).

But we hopped on MySpace when it was "the THING you just HAVE to do." It's been pretty much nothing but trouble since.

GJ

timcoalman
gettin' sounds

Post by timcoalman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Late to the party but it does feel so nice to see even the raw mix on bandcamp http://timcoalman.bandcamp.com/ instead of MySpace - moreso for the lack of all the ads and visual clutter

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Huh. STILL can't get MySpace to let me go.

"I can't quit you baby..." Mostly because everytime I go through the "dump" procedure, I find myself right back where I started-- getting MySpace Messages from people I don't want them from, and still having a stupid page I don't want anymore.

Occupy MySpace. I mean really, the actual offices. Where are they?

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:16 am

..... in space?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net