If I Had...

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

If I Had...

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri May 27, 2011 9:40 pm

...a Bar Too......

I guess it would mysteriously disappear, just like the last one.
I would hope I'd have enough insurance if that happened.

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Don't encourage.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat May 28, 2011 9:08 am

Just sayin'...

BTW, I was listeining to Tony Williams recently. If I had his technique I'd be able to play those old K Zildjians with as much control as he did, with brushes or sticks.

If I had Little Walter's breath-control, and Carlos Del Junco's ability to turn a 10-hole into a chromatic...

If I had Mingo Lewis' sound on congas...

If I had a Hammer...

GJ

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Sat May 28, 2011 3:44 pm

If I had a Hamer.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat May 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Don't you mean, if you had a Charvel?

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat May 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Well-played.

Which Tony Williams were you listening to? He had a major sort of sytlistic change (still sounded like him of course) between his teenage and early 20s years (the Miles period) and the later Lifetime stuff in the 70s. It's a shame that he passed so early, but it's also a blessing that he got "The Story Of Neptune" done before his time came.

Dude rocked Gretschs with black dots later on. I mean, come on. Balls.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat May 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Of course, if you had a hammer, you'd have something in common with Leonard Nimoy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Post by LupineSound » Sat May 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Just downloaded The Story Of Neptune to hear what you guys were talking about. Holy fuck. Monster drumming! Loving it. So thanks.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat May 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey,

I was listening to the "New Lifetime" again, but I love all of his stuff... The straight-ahead kicked (I love Miles too); I really dug VSOP as well, but the fusion material is just... I think maybe Terry Bozzio said it, but, he would go for crazy stuff that, even though you've heard the record a million times, you say--"There's no way he'll make it out of that fill back to 1," and then he does, of course, because it's on record and he already did it. But it's so improvisational (and yet ensemble), that it sounds live, and you have the same questions every time, even though you've heard it before!

I got to see him play live just once, but it was amazing. He's like Elvin and Billy Cobham in a blender-- so loose and so precise at the same time.
His brush playing was like-- stuff I'll never be able to do with sticks... I liked his sense of adventure. He played with Miles, and that would have been enough for anybody. Then he played with his ground-breaking fusion groups, then he played with punk-rockers. Then he studied composition, and went back to recording straight-ahead. And none of it sucked.

I think he used the Black Dots for a long time, like, since they came out, right?

Speaking of Billy, there are some good videos on YouTube of him playing the heck out of some straight-ahead stuff with a tiny little four-piece kit. I think he's with Horace Silver.

Speaking of Nimoy, I dig Shatner, but that version of "Hammer" by Nimoy is the cat's freeg'n meow (if you like outsider music by famous people, which I do).

I would like to direct a film with Shatner, Nimoy, and Adam West. That would be the zenith of my film career (but then I suppose we could do a couple follow-up albums, and maybe design some plush-toys for McDonald's).

I may have to go listen to some BowTie now, with Larry Goldings...

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun May 29, 2011 6:13 am

shithead wrote:Just downloaded The Story Of Neptune to hear what you guys were talking about. Holy fuck. Monster drumming! Loving it. So thanks.
Excellent! Glad you dig it. It's such a terrific album.
Gregg Juke wrote:I got to see him play live just once, but it was amazing.
Wow! He's one I never got to see, unfortunately.
He played with Miles, and that would have been enough for anybody.
Yeah, and at seventeen years old, too! Miles made him grow a mustache so Tony could get into a few of the clubs they were playing.
Speaking of Billy, there are some good videos on YouTube of him playing the heck out of some straight-ahead stuff with a tiny little four-piece kit. I think he's with Horace Silver.
Never been crazy about Cobham's straight ahead playing. I saw him do a clinic in the mid 80s (first clinic I ever went to) and it was funny. His memory at the time was, um, not very accurate. Someone asked him about a certain record he played on and Cobham said, "I've never played with those guys," and the dude said, "Yeah you did. I brought the record for you to sign!"
Speaking of Nimoy, I dig Shatner, but that version of "Hammer" by Nimoy is the cat's freeg'n meow (if you like outsider music by famous people, which I do).
The Nimoy stuff isn't my favorite of all that, although the ending of "If I Had A Hammer" is pure genius.
I would like to direct a film with Shatner, Nimoy, and Adam West. That would be the zenith of my film career (but then I suppose we could do a couple follow-up albums, and maybe design some plush-toys for McDonald's).
I've been saying for years (and I may have said it on here before) that I'd love to cast Shatner and Adam West in a movie and then have it culminate in a fight scene between the two of them. Best dialogue pauses and four-fisted fight scene, EVER! I could probbaly write about fifteen minutes of script and make it a full two-hour movie.
I may have to go listen to some BowTie now, with Larry Goldings...
Barstowe!!!!!!!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun May 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Alright Chris, if you're SERIOUS, then we should hook-up at Mara's thing next year and start writing a treatment. By the time we finish it, if they're still alive, we might be able to get our vehicle to the top of the pile...

Shatner-- "YoU, want to. FIGHT. MeeeEEEEE!!!!"

West-- "That's. Right. Old. Chum!"

West's by now extra-slow-motion roundhouses, and Shatner's Karate chop and finger-flip will show these young audiences what real violence is all about.

(Cue Star Trek trombone and flute section fight music and cheesy broccoli-breaking sound design-- "Da-da-da-da-da-da- Dah da-da dit dah...")

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun May 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Billy, he's definitely meant for backbeat music. I was just surprised at how versed he was in the hard-bop tradition.

He has stated that he kind of erased that stuff from his memory (his earlier gigs, and his stint as a CTI session man).

I do dig his playing alot though, even though it's the farthest thing from mine or most of the drummer's I've worked with. He's a pretty decent, down-to-earth guy too. I've seen his band live, seen him in clinic two or three times, and got to interview him once. He's a straight-up dude, which I appreciate. Very serious, but very approachable and no aires of "I'm Billy Cobham!", or anything like that.

GJ