Do you still need a website to promote your career?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Do you still need a website to promote your career?

Post by supafuzz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 am

My websites were hacked a little while back and now show up as attack sites harmful to your computer on Google etc.
It's going to cost a lot to redo the websites from scratch. I was wondering how effective a website is for creating new business?
I found the website of a big advertising agency and all they had was one page with their name and contact info and e-mail link.
I was thinking that a lot gets done thru facebook and having a blog and most of my work is from networking and word of mouth.
So the idea is to have a single page with info and links to my blog etc.
I would love to hear what you all are doing in this regard.
thanks
I have a myspace but that seems doomed.
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:44 am

In this day and age I think having a web site that is clear and easy to navigate is a must for bringing in new clientele and describing what you do and have done.

Myspace is a joke and I would not trust other peer to peer sites to accomplish much professionally.

TheRealRoach
ass engineer

Post by TheRealRoach » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:59 am

I don't think it's as important to create a custom website that's built and coded from the ground up. I think 2-way blog formats like Tumblr, Bandcamp, Soundcloud have really taken over as the better option.

The days of "website as a 1-way billboard" are over.

If you are going to put up a website then it has to efficiently provide the information and media that potential clients want access to: discography, music, press, contact info. If they are impressed by those then they will call and inquire further.
---------
Mike Rocha
http://www.mikerocha.ca

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:02 am

I guess it depends on what you're doing and what you need.
My business has always come through word of mouth. Once I've talked to the band, artist or label I still need to direct them somewhere to hear more of my work, see photos and so on. The answer for me was a free blogspot page. It covers all the bases I need covered and it doesn't cost me a penny.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:34 pm

In my own experience and interviews with others, word of mouth is always bigger than web presence.

However, web presence does help legitimize and amplify the word of mouth you're getting. If a potential client has friend who tells him you're great to work with, and he's still on the fence, a quick google search can have the effect of helping tip the decision one way or the other: "He just has a myspace page?", the potential client thinks to himself. "Maybe he's not that serious".

If you have a simple site that's thoughtfully designed and comes up easily with a quick search, some of those natural fears are assuaged. You don't necessarily need a whole big production. A simple wordpress, typepad, blogger, or tumblr page can do the trick for many small studios.

You may be able to run a successful career with no web page at all, as long as you have an amazing network of people around you. But why stack the deck against yourself?

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

all good ideas

Post by supafuzz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:00 pm

these are all good ideas..keep em coming!
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

Marwood Williams
pluggin' in mics

Post by Marwood Williams » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:38 pm

I think it's vital to have a web presence. While there are good sites to put your info, like Tumblir and Blogspot, I personally like having my own website and 100% control over the content I post. (especially not having ads and pop-ups.)

Hosting sites are relatively cheap and free interfaces like Wordpress are easy to customize. There are literally thousands of themes and plug-ins to give your site the look and feel that you want.