Cool stuff in Detroit 7-27th-29th

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Cool stuff in Detroit 7-27th-29th

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Hey, I'm heading to Detroit for work and I'd love to check out something cool while there. Anybody have an recommendations? Live music, cool instrument/pawn shops, food etc. Best suggestion gets $35 worth of recording advice :D
Thanks!
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

purple pie pete
alignin' 24-trk

Detroit

Post by purple pie pete » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:41 am

Well, tomorrow night there is a benefit concert at the Magic Bag in Ferndale to recall our asshole Governor. Good chance to check out some local bands and politics. Other than that, I can't think of anything specific. Check out Buddy's if you like pizza. The Magic Stick for music, bowling, beer and pool. Greek town and Mexican Town can be interesting. John King for used books. Car City Records in St. Clair Shores and Stormy Records in Dearborn are cool. The Tigers are playing the Angels today and tomorrow, if you're into baseball. You could always check out some local studios. Tempermill, Harmonie Park, and Studio A are some of the bigger ones. If you like Middle Eastern food, definitely head over to Dearborn. I like Cedarland, on Warren west of Oakman. But a little drive down Warren Ave. will give you lots of options. I think it might be the largest Arabic community outside of the Middle East. Oh, I almost forgot Hamtramck! Huge Eastern European community there, with lots of Polish food, small bars and live music. And the Cadieux Cafe for Belgian beer, mussels and featherbowling. Hope that helps. Have fun!

Aj
pushin' record

Ah, yes Detroit... city of my birth

Post by Aj » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:44 am

Detroit is often blighted and bizarre. It's very DIY. It's cool, if you like that sort of thing.

Go to the Motown Museum. Seriously. It's the old Motown recording studio(plus offices, etc). Amazingly, it's still there. And - this part is very Detroit - basically it's almost like it was. They just stuck a museum sign in front of it. Complete with the gear, echo chamber (in the attic!). You wont regret it.

Daytime: visit Eastern Market (enormous farmer's market, go on market day for incredible people watching and the occasional busker). While there, eat an amazing breakfast (or lunch) at Russell St. Deli (mmm, bacon). Then go next door to Rocky's and buy some bulk candy for dessert.

Or catch the Tigers play at Comerica Park. It's a great new ballpark, with some amazing views of the city skyline. Then go for a walk and poke around Bricktown and Greektown.

At night - check out interesting local bands at Majestic/Magic Stick (bigger venue) or Lager House (smaller venue - while you're there, cut across the street at see the ghost of the old Michigan Central Depot - huge old train station, people sneak in and take amazing pictures).

Eat at Union Street (across from the Magic Stick). Great city scene.

Shopping: hit Gratiot Ave. for the local pawn shops. It's hit and miss. If you like thrifting, there's a huge Salvation Army over in Corktown. If you like architecture, just drive around downtown and marvel at the old abandoned buildings. Check out "the fabulous ruins of detroit" and make your own walking/driving tour (yes it's true the old model t plant is abandoned and you can see it up close if your careful):

http://www.detroityes.com

That should get you started....!

Aj

P.S. Events calendar and local press here:

http://www.metrotimes.com
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks for the advice!
I had a blast in Detroit, really wish I had more time to check out more stuff.
I went to the Motown museum (I had totally spaced it and would have been really bummed if I would have missed it). Super cool just standing in Studio A, with all the cables hanging from the ceiling, and the old wood floor that looks like it's seen plenty of heels... very cool place to visit, the attic echo chamber was very cool.
Ate some good Greek food and saw a show at the Fox theatre, what an amazing venue!
Great thunder storm, recorded some booms with my zoom.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."