Liability Insurance for playing shows

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

jakeao
steve albini likes it

Liability Insurance for playing shows

Post by jakeao » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum. My band is playing a show opening for a fairly big headliner. The venue's contract states we need Commercial General Liability insurance, and workers comp insurance. This is the first the band has come across anything like this. Is this standard for larger venues? Any ideas on the cost for these types on insurance? Thanks for any help that might get me pointed in the right direction.
..."Look lady it's real simple. You slip me the cash, and I slip you the wiener."
" But I don't have any cash"
" Then I don't have a wiener!!!"

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:41 pm

That seems really fishy to me. I'd remove it from the contract and/or not sign any contract with it in. I'm not a lawyer so, please do not take this as legal advice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Could be boiler-plate. As Tony suggested, I'd try crossing it out in black ink (a few simple lines, not a huge ink-blot), and initial and date it (same as when you sign).

I know that the entire industry is trying to shift more and more on the bands, but that sounds ridiculous for a one-time opening act slot (or is this a longer tour situation?)...

GJ

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Can only offer some UK advice, that getting PLI through a musicians or technician's union is about quarter the price the insurers will charge you otherwise. I am in one union for no other reason.

jakeao
steve albini likes it

Post by jakeao » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:03 am

Thanks for the feedback. This is a one time opening act that is part of a bigger tour. I think I will try black lining out the part about insurance and see what happens. Z-plane mentioned a union or trade group. What do we have in the US for something like that? thanks again,
..."Look lady it's real simple. You slip me the cash, and I slip you the wiener."

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:08 am

Fwiw, I've had to get liability insurance before when playing some club dates at certain high end restaurants/venues. When you work for a club date agency they usually already have insurance for any band that works under their flag already, but as we were an independent group we had to take care of it our selves on those specific occasions where it was required. I don't think it was that much for each one-off gig and I'm sure we rolled that into/added it to our fee.

But I've never been asked for it for any "performance" type thing.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:36 pm

First thing I would do is check with your local AFM (musician's union) office. But, joining the union, paying work dues on the gig, and getting insurance (even for one show; maybe especially for only one show) might tend to be a bit cost-prohibitive/counter-productive, unless you're making an obscenely exhorbitant amount of money...

GJ

jakeao
steve albini likes it

Post by jakeao » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:45 am

...unless you're making an obscenely exhorbitant amount of money...

This is not the case :) I'm going to get a hold of the venue and ask them if the insurance is mandatory. I post with whatever I find out. Thanks for the info.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:17 am

And then if the venue tells you there will be a small fee for them to answer that question, let us know too...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:14 pm

As a former tour manager for punk and metal bands I have worked for bands that had liability insurance. I would speak to other bands who have played the venue, (if you can), and ask if it was ever checked. Chances are good that it's one of those things that the venue's lawyer saw as very important when the contract was written, but nobody every follows up on.

Keep in mind that if you cross out that line then sign and return the contract, you're bringing it to their attention; this may cause a problem. And it's not like by crossing it out you're no longer liable for whatever happens during the performance - people like to think that, but the world doesn't work that way. However, if you don't cross it out, you're basically lying and saying you do have that insurance. If something stupid happens, (your drummer throws the sticks into the audience and hits someone in the eye, or a drunken idiot tries to stage dive and shatters their elbow), you'd be opening yourselves up to lawsuits against yourselves personally.

The venue probably has some kind of liability policy already. If this becomes an issue, you could ask to speak with their agent so you could purchase a one-time policy to cover that event.

jakeao
steve albini likes it

Post by jakeao » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Well the insurance is not mandatory. The contract is really just a boiler plate deal. There was also no fee to find out about the insurance :) As far as bullshitting them on the insurance, the venue is thee place to play in our hometown, so I don't want to burn bridges. Anyway, it all worked out. As a side note I'm the drummer so I should be able to control the flight of any drum sticks. :) Thanks again to the great folks in the Tape Op community for the info.