In Seattle/Portland july12-19th

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

In Seattle/Portland july12-19th

Post by tdbajus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Going to be in Seattle (actually, I'm there right now) just wandering around and looking for amusement July 12-13 (Friday the 13th!), 16-19, and Portland the 14-15th.

Wondering if anyone has any tips on good shows, restaurants, bars, and guitar shops- particularly with cool pedals and a wall full of jazzmasters looking for new homes.

Thanks!

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:04 am

Emerald City Guitars is worth checking out, down in Pioneer Square (Seattle). Also, if it's your thing, Bass Northwest is right around the corner, and apparently is the largest bass-only store in the world.

Food-wise, hit Mama's Mexican on 2nd and Bell, you won't regret it![/b]

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:06 am

Emerald City Guitars is great. Really lovely people.

Trading Musician in Ravenna almost always has some interesting odd ball stuff.

American Music in Fremont rarely has any guitar stuff I get excited about, but the drum department usually has some neat stuff.

If you want to stand in a giant room full of acoustic stringed instruments, Dusty Strings in Fremont is cool.

Too many restaurants, and a wide variety of $$$.

On the cheapish, Than Brothers Pho (there are several locations) is good.

Green Leaf is a great place in the International District. So is Shanghai Garden.

Pioneer Square: Salumi is excellent if you are into cured meat. Great sandwiches. Tats is another good sandwich place.

Downtown: Trabant Coffee (close to Pioneer Square). Le Pichet (French). Matt's In The Market (upscale North West foodie stuff). Palace Kitchen. Serious Pie.

Capitol Hill: Espresso Vivace. Cafe Presse (open late, same menu all day, good cocktails). Spinnase (really nice Italian - a treat). Elliot Bay Books. A ton of other restaurants.

Ballard - a ton of places. La Carta De Oaxaca is an amazing Mexican place...one of my fav places in Seattle. Fiore does pretty good coffee, but you are relatively close to...

Fremont: Lighthouse Coffee, better than anything I've had in Ballard. Also, Paseo makes an unreal Cuban sandwich.

If you are sick from rich food or you just need a juice or a bowl of hippie food, then Chaco Canyone in the U District is (expensive) but good.

So many good places. Throw a rock and you'll hit a tattooed chef.

Obviously I am a recovering food person.

Have a great time!

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks!

I've been making a google map of all of the suggestions, and have found a bunch of areas of high density coolness we're going to check out.