Pussy Riot

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Wait, this isn't the brewery? Where did that section go?

Just trying to admittedly stretch it to a correlation between what the respective governments/propaganda moguls call the people they want to demonize. Eco-terrorists being one example here(among lots of other kinds of terrorists, or terrorists of intent as it were), hooligans in Russia. People who want to change shit from how it is now, basically. It's a funny word and it's being used to conjure up more enemies in the mind of the public than just Islamic extremists. But you know that.

I didn't watch the fox news broadcast heh, but I bet if they covered Pussy Riot at all there'll be some subliminal or outright association with terrorists. And everyone will nod and say they got what they deserved.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:37 am

Ha! I thought you mighta been serious about the "terrorist" definition, but now you mention FOX "news", I know you are joking. :lol:

I agree, the word "terrorist" has been diluted as such terms often are, by mis and over-use and exaggeration.

I just find the whole Pussy Riot story interesting, a little sexy, funny, and a exemplary illustration of dangerous political ridiculousness.

It's like, do anything to preserve the status quo, increase the power, acquire the spice.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:36 am

You know, I watched Dune lately and realized my signature is incorrect. I gotta change that. It's actually Stilgar himself that says "we've got wormsign the like of which . . . " For some reason I thought it was somebody else addressing Stilgar.

Anyway. . . .
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:02 am

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

zywot66
studio intern

it's all propaganda

Post by zywot66 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:39 am

As usual it's not what it seems. Never trust what come's out of the "safe" news.
Find alternative news sources. I don't mean NPR which is as bad as FOX in terms of agenda's. In fact they are a bit worse because they try to come across as the sensible soft voice. Read Amy Goodman's research on NPR.

the real deal on Pussy Riot
http://lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts362.html

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:18 am

I'm not going to indulge in political posturing or analysis any further than I already have.

The story is out there for anyone to believe, disbelieve, or find their own truths or lies in the "facts" as presented.

The Mercouris blog (here) gives quite a bit of information in a couple posts with numerous links.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Re: it's all propaganda

Post by fossiltooth » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:32 pm

zywot66 wrote:As usual it's not what it seems. Never trust what come's out of the "safe" news.
Find alternative news sources. I don't mean NPR which is as bad as FOX in terms of agenda's. In fact they are a bit worse because they try to come across as the sensible soft voice. Read Amy Goodman's research on NPR.

the real deal on Pussy Riot
http://lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts362.html
Nah. NPR is some of the best news in the country, period. They make mistakes sometimes, but not nearly as often as those in the far-left and far-right agenda driven press do.

I'd instead say never to trust what comes out of news outlets that have a radical and one-sided interpretation of all facts. And I'll say that for WBAI and MSNBC much as I'll say it for Fox News and Drudge and far-right and libertarian blogs.

Sure, maybe the far-left ones aren't quite as bad with screwing the facts these days -- but that's only because at this moment in time, the facts overwhelmingly support the case for bringing America further back to the left from where it wound up after double terms of Reagan and Bush Jr.

But that's not a universal truth at all times. Things can go too far to the left as well. And maybe some day, decades and decades from now, the facts will support moving in the opposite direction.

At their best, facts and reason can help create consensus. And when we arrive at consensus thanks to well-reasoned debate and discovery, that consensus is a good thing.

Ultimately, the very job of good journalism and good governance and good citizenship is to create and uncover better consensus -- not just to be radical just for the sake of being radical.

Anyway: I like NPR. 90% of the time they do a damn good job. When they don't, I'm the first to criticize the for it. Doesn't mean I don't love them though.

Also: they get a better blend of news consumers from both sides of the aisle of any other outlet. That's saying something. Especially in today's climate. I am a fan.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:22 am

But you have to admit: they see everything through a certain kind of lens... and this lens is EXTREMELY conventional and abhorently terrified of rocking any boats or questioning any received wisdom or offering anything other than a Velveeta cheese view of the world-- injustices are rare and swiftly rectified, authority is trustworthy, ongoing endemic corruption does not exist in our time.

They are very much about endorsing the status quo-- whether you think that's disgusting or admirable will say alot about your worldview.

Why does the image of duct tape over a mouth spring to mind?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Sure. NPR has a lens. I'd call it "reasonable consensus."

I'm okay with that.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Shiver in my bones when I think of what were "reasonable consensii" of prior times and places.....
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Fair point.

Counterargument: Hey, we've made it this far.

...And past evidence suggests tomorrow will be better still.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:56 am

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 am

CNN reports.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

And the latest update:

Awesome news.

http://www.interpretermag.com/russian-s ... -unlawful/
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:51 am

Hmmm.

Positive news, anywhat.

Thanx for the update!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.