Potluck Con

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Potluck Con

Post by dgrieser » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Were all participants sworn to secrecy? Thought we'd hear something about it. Maybe too busy partying around the pool?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:40 pm

What happens in Tucson...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:25 pm

I went. It was interesting. I hadn't attended any of the TapeOp/Potluck conferences since 2004 and I instantly realized how much I missed going. It reinforces the fact that we recordists are a small but tight-knit factor in the whole scheme of recording music, whether it be on a professional, personal or hobbyist level.

There was a big emphasis on humanity and life during the conference. Many of us who have attended the past TapeOp and Potluck conferences are showing the effects of aging, myself included. Organizer Craig Schumacher recently battled cancer and the people there, attendees and exhibitors both, let him know how much they appreciated his fight. There were people of all ages, colors, shapes and sizes there. At no time did I feel uncomfortable. The fact that we all spoke the same language (recording nerd/geek) made things much easier. The hotel is great but pricey.

I hope that everyone who lurks/follows/posts regularly on this messageboard to try and make plans to attend next year.

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:25 am

It was great, and went off with nary a hitch. Panels were well attended, exhibitors happy with attendance, and most generally excited to have the event back in action.

Odds are really good that we'll go back next summer, sometime around the full moon in June or July. Make plans early, because it's an incredibly informative and fun event.

Frank

billkahler
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by billkahler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:32 am

I thought 99 bucks for that hotel was cheap. Restaurant was high though.
billkahler.com (musician)
prettygoodgig.com (conversations with musical people podcast)
ufofarm.com (organic electronica)

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 am

I loved every minute of it. Made a few new friends and saw some faces that I could connect to names.

The hotel was great, but I did venture out into the wilds of Tucson for a few meals. And got to see the last remaining ICBM site left. It's truly an awesome sight to behold. A Titan rocket, the same type used to send man to the moon, except with a nuclear warhead on top. Of course the one there no longer houses the warhead, as they recycled it for other purposes. The missile is as tall as a football field is long. HUGE.

Any geeks here saw Star Trek "First Contact" the movie, where they end up on Earth to witness the first Warp Drive being used? The hangar was this museum site.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.