TRANSLATOR audio/ The SOUTH SOUND: Destroyed

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

joel hamilton
zen recordist

TRANSLATOR audio/ The SOUTH SOUND: Destroyed

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:22 pm

It is a very sad day for Brooklyn and audio. Andrew Schneider has lost his ENTIRE studio to hurricane sandy here in NYC... Studio G and other pals, like the bunker, came through without major losses... but The South Sound, and Translator audio were COMPLETELY destroyed. Completely.

Please, if you can help in some way, offer your services via their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/TheSouthSound?fref=ts

Tech work, to help see if anything can be salvaged, would be especially helpful.
Please contact them and see if you can help.
Think of losing your entire studio.... complete nightmare. Andrew has made some amazing records and he is a great person.
Hope to see some of you there.
I am super sad about this loss, as it really hits home for me because I lost a studio in a flood years ago... it hurts really bad in many ways, especially when you build your place yourself.

The loss of this studio is weighing on my mind heavily, and I wish the guys a speedy recovery and return to making great music and recordings.
Sincerely.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Great guys. It was a beautiful new space too. Just opened and had so much going for it! So sad.

I'm only two blocks from them. The water spared us, thanks to a handful of feet of elevation. Meanwhile these guys got hit with a 5 foot H20 tornado. Not fair at all. Definitely help these guys out if you can!

I hope this one has a happy ending down the road. For now, they've been hit pretty damn hard. A whole studio, wiped away.

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:47 pm

I was just about to post about this. It's such a crushing blow to have this happen when we spent more time building than the few short months we were able to enjoy working there. Andrew and Mike's Translator Audio, my studio The Civil Defense, and all of the other engineers and bands involved in The South Sound had our entire space and our gear destroyed and submerged in 5-6 feet of salt water, sewage, and whatever else lives in the Gowanus canal. Walls caved in, doors ripped apart, a BBQ grill from four rooms away lying on many thousands of dollars of microphones on the floor. Almost nothing was spared.

I know there are a lot of people in serious need around the northeast right now, but if you want to help out here are some things we could use a hand with:

Local studios that can help us get in and finish mixing and/or tracking sessions.

Safe storage space, preferably with a utility sink or something so we can try to clean, dry, and restore any gear that might be salvageable. Also utility shelves to help us keep our things in storage organized.

Help this weekend (or the near future) moving console frames out of the studio.

Help cleaning + trying to restore consoles, tape machines, rack gear and amps if possible.

Money donations to help us rebuild and get a new space going. We sunk everything we had in this and were only open a few months. We set up a page for donations to the two recording studios (Translator Audio and The Civil Defense) and for The South Sound here: http://unfloodbkmusic.blogspot.com/.

Bands and people anywhere who may be willing to set up and/or play benefit shows to help raise funds to rebuild.

Leads/advice on any disaster relief funds, grants, or loans that may be relevant to us to help us get back on our feet.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:30 am

kakumei47 wrote: Local studios that can help us get in and finish mixing and/or tracking sessions.
Been following the fantastic gear cleanup over at Studio G via Facebook.

Please let me know if we can help with studio time for finishing projects.
Last edited by roscoenyc on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:39 am

Would it help if other NYS Tape Oppers could get down there to physically help out on a weekend upcoming? Would you have a place to put people up if they could come down?

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:03 pm

This is a serious offer... ^^^^

It would be a few weekends at least before I could round-up a posse and get down there, but if y'all need manpower for bullwork, please let me know and we'll see what we can do. I just need to know if you need physical help like that, and if you'd have a crashpad, which would be a pre-requisite.

GJ

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks Gregg, that is awesome. There is a LOT of legwork to be done here, but a lot of the gear end of it is pretty time sensitive. The gear just doesn't love the saltwater/superfund canal cocktail. Joel has pulled together an amazing team to help save a few key things that might have a chance, but the amount of work we have yet is pretty amazing. Let's keep in touch and see where where we might be in a couple weeks...can keep you posted as plans progress and we see where options are.

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Here's my living room right now. Might have to work on space for people to stay. If you can help when we rebuild I will find something great.

Thanks!!

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:10 pm

roscoenyc wrote:
kakumei47 wrote: Local studios that can help us get in and finish mixing and/or tracking sessions.

Thanks Roscoe (and thanks for the advice on cleaning drives and amps). Andrew found a spot for the band he's working with right now, and I'm going to have to sort this out soon after cleaning things up and getting insurance/relief applications in. Thanks!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:40 pm

kakumei47 wrote:
roscoenyc wrote:

Thanks Roscoe (and thanks for the advice on cleaning drives and amps). Andrew found a spot for the band he's working with right now, and I'm going to have to sort this out soon after cleaning things up and getting insurance/relief applications in. Thanks!
We'll be there for you.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:28 pm

As I said to Joel on Twitter the other day. If I were close I'd be lending a hand in any way I could.

Good Luck!!!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 am

Hey!

Let me know what's up, and check your PM box, kakumei47!

GJ

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:57 am

PM sent with gear offer
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."