OceanWay studios was sold

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

OceanWay studios was sold

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Just heard the news today.

The Hollywood OceanWay studio has been sold.

Very sad.

There were so many, countless really, hits recorded there.

RIP Oceanway.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Slau
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: OceanWay studios was sold

Post by Slau » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:40 am

Couldn't find news of this. bTW, "sold" meaning that the property was sold to someone who will not continue the business as a studio? Curious? Unfortunate, if that's the case. Another one bites the dust? geez?

Slau

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: OceanWay studios was sold

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:13 am

Slau wrote:Couldn't find news of this. bTW, "sold" meaning that the property was sold to someone who will not continue the business as a studio? Curious? Unfortunate, if that's the case. Another one bites the dust? geez?

Slau
The property was sold... and it remains to be seen if it will continue as a studio, or ?

I read this was done back in January, after doing a more thorough search. But, I could not find out who bought it.

It will be very sad once that studio goes out. Truly a classic.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Huh.

They posted about buying new equipment in September, so mebbe they'll continue on in some form?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 am

vvv wrote:Huh.

They posted about buying new equipment in September, so mebbe they'll continue on in some form?
Well, I certainly hope they continue. But, in my experience, once a studio gets sold, it is not long before it gets closed.

I know Alan Sides has been in the biz for a very long time, maybe he just wanted out.

Cheers

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:28 am

vvv wrote:Huh.

I think that's the Nashville location.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 pm

:oops:

Also and FWIW,
"In 1999, the original Ocean Way/Western Recorders facility at 6000 Sunset Blvd.
was sold to Cello Recording Studios, and Sides retained the building next door at
6050 Sunset Blvd."
cite

And,
"Established in the late 1950s by audio engineer Bill Putnam, the complex operated as United Western Recorders from 1957 to 1985, when Putnam sold it to his partner Allen Sides, who renamed it Ocean Way Recording. In 1999, Sides sold the Western section of the complex to computer magnate Rick Adams, who renamed it Cello Studios. At the beginning of 2006 Cello Studios was purchased by EastWest producer Doug Rogers and renamed EastWest Studios. Rogers extensively remodeled the non-technical areas of the studio complex with designer Philippe Starck, but the studios themselves, with their famous acoustics, remain as originally built by Putnam in the 1960s and continue to operate to this day."
cite
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:43 pm

That would be such a shame. It's one of the last holdouts in LA.

I was glad to find out recently that someone bought Sound City and it's still being used as a studio.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:18 am

This is odd. JJP was still there, and had been moved to the Neve 88R room so his old room with the Focusrite could be used for tracking and scoring. I got the impressions that the place was still busy.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:09 pm

drumsound wrote:This is odd. JJP was still there, and had been moved to the Neve 88R room so his old room with the Focusrite could be used for tracking and scoring. I got the impressions that the place was still busy.
Right. He (JJP) has been out of the Focusrite room for a good while now, when I last went there, back in early 2011, he was already installed in his mix room, with Neve 88R.

I hope the new owners keep it running as a studio.

Experience however, tells other tales.

Keeping fingers crossed, and hope real estate prices don't jump up again, which invariably make non-musically inclined studio owners strip and re-purpose those spaces.

As an example, Radio Recorders, which was designated a "historic landmark" was turned into accounting offices. Money rules all.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Also, in West Coast studio news, Rick Ruben bought Shangri-La Studio and tracked some of the new ZZ Top there.