RIP Andy Johns

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

cgarges
zen recordist

RIP Andy Johns

Post by cgarges » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Man, what a legacy. RIP, Andy Johns.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:33 pm

:( R.I.P.

Always like the records he worked; the liner notes on the stunning re-master of Marquee Moon are hilarious, concerning how they did not hire him to get the "When the Levee Breaks" drum sounds.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:54 pm

seriously amazing and inspirational career that fella had. thank goodness he was able facilitate creativeness on countless records that set the standard for rock music.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 am

It's been a bad month for our legends.

RIP Andy. I've listened to Sticky fingers a few times in the last week, I will probably listen again tonight.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:50 am

This man shaped my ears and inspired me beyond words. Even before I knew who he was, I had been listening to his work for years and it has been the soundtrack to my life. This dude saw it, lived it...he was there during some of the most rock n roll rock n roll moments. What an incredible legacy, and what a solid foundation for rock and roll engineering. We have just lost one of the greats, people.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:27 am

drumsound wrote:It's been a bad month for our legends.
seriously. RIP Mr Johns.

gonna put 'when the levee breaks' on really loud once i finish the days work here.

Groovedog
audio school graduate

Post by Groovedog » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 am

Jeff White wrote:This man shaped my ears and inspired me beyond words. Even before I knew who he was, I had been listening to his work for years and it has been the soundtrack to my life. This dude saw it, lived it...he was there during some of the most rock n roll rock n roll moments. What an incredible legacy, and what a solid foundation for rock and roll engineering. We have just lost one of the greats, people.

Jeff

well said and feel the exact same way....

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 am

Cool interview here: http://bobbyowsinski.blogspot.com/2013/ ... johns.html

His take on digital definitely surprised me for a guy of his era. Couple selected quotes:

"With digital, the sound that?s coming in is what you get it back. It?s much truer than any analog machine ever was."

Fair enough, but then:

"If you?ve got to smooth out your sound with some analog machine then you?re in trouble to start with."

Touche!