The Blackbird Academy

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

The Blackbird Academy

Post by MarcoPogo » Sat May 11, 2013 3:51 pm

***Greetings!

Mark Rubel here, announcing the launch of The Blackbird Academy, a small and excellent recording school at Blackbird Studios, Nashville TN:

http://theblackbirdacademy.com/

Kevin Becka (technical editor of Mix Magazine) and I are the two main instructors, and we will be bringing in a host of amazing guest teachers: Vance Powell, Niko Bolas, John McBride, Joe Chiccarelli, and many others. We are doing our very utmost to provide the deepest and most relevant, mentor-based audio education in Blackbird's unparalleled Music City facilities (1,400+ microphones, Neve/API/SSL, endless outboard gear, etc.) Classes in our purpose-built classroom/studio are limited to 30 people, and for the 50%+ hands-on learning in Blackbird, five people per class, a six-month intensive program. We have crafted the education we most would have like to have had ourselves: technology and techniques in depth of course, and beyond that the history, philosophy and context of our industry, with special attention to proper interaction and communication, and the development of listening skills. There is also a live sound program which will start in January.

Unlike other programs who need to accept anyone with the ability to pay, we only want those who are unable to be talked out of a passion for audio. We don't promise that our graduates will always have work. We don't imply that they will automatically get their dream job. We recognize that this career that we ourselves have chosen is not an easy one, and encourage anyone who can do anything else to do so. But- if you are truly serious about pursuing audio professionally, the immersion, knowledge and professional connections that this experience provides can make all the difference. Plus: it's not four years of your time, allowing you to get working sooner, and the costs will not leave our graduates with crippling student loans.

We are building on the peerless reputation of Blackbird Studios, and our school's reputation and quality will be built on that of our graduate engineers. We're looking for those who, like ourselves, are obsessed and passionate about recording, and driven to do it as well as possible. This is a good place to find those people I do believe, and I welcome any questions or suggestions as to how we can make our program the best and most relevant.

And anyhow, it's not all about the gear... but really, what other recording school has access to twenty-six U-47's?

Thank you, and hoping to see you in Nashville!

Mark Rubel
mrubel@theblackbirdacademy.com

The Blackbird Academy, Nashville TN
http://theblackbirdacademy.com/

Pogo Studio, Champaign IL
http://www.pogostudio.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 20, 2013 6:56 pm

This really is going to be amazing, especially with Mark Rubel at the helm!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 21, 2013 12:50 pm

You just gave me a good excuse to go to Nashville.

Cheers!!!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu May 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Are we talking hundreds or thousands of dollars?
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

Post by MarcoPogo » Thu May 23, 2013 5:18 pm

***Hello!

More details here: http://www.musicrow.com/2013/05/john-mc ... g-academy/

And, a video tour of Blackbird here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWesb1MaEMI

With a number of other videos linked! It's truly exciting. I welcome any questions or suggestions as to how we can optimize our education. I know I'm going to learn as much as anyone, given the sheer range of talented people who'll be coming in to talk with our students, and the chance to use all that gear.

Best!

-MR

Mark Rubel
The Blackbird Academy
Nashville, TN

Pogo Studio
Champaign, IL

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 pm

this is fantastic.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri May 24, 2013 6:27 am

If I were to offer a suggestion, stop trying to sell the gear part. If people just want to uggle at expensive stuff and twist some knobs, rent one of the Blackbird's studio over a weekend, record a band, and just go to town putting 12 U67's on a drum kit running through a Fairchild and Neve preamps. Because, be honest Mark, there are very few engineers fortunate enough to be able to work in facilities like Blackbird on a regular basis. Sell the skills they'll learn, not the tools there using. That's like teaching someone to drive in a Maserati, and then putting them in Dodge Neon after they got their license.

I'd also focus on: job placement, marketing, taxes and write offs independent contractors, schoomzing (it really is about who you know), technical skills like soldering and basic electronics, and pound home the idea that quality musicians trump expensive equipment. No matter how much money you throw at a crap song and crap playing, it's still just crap! There's a lot I wish had know before starting out in the real world in Nashville. I could go on.

I've been really fortunate to work with talent, accomplished musicians and producers in my short professional career in Nashville but while the things I learned in school were important, there's a lot of things that I've found important that got overlooked.

Also, I wouldn't market it as affordable. A 4 year bachelors at MTSU is around $35,000 for in state tuition. And they have API and SSL consoles and teachers with multiple Grammys and small classrooms (most of my classes were 12-16 students). Compared to $22,000 for 6 months college seems like a bargain!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

Post by MarcoPogo » Sat May 25, 2013 10:37 pm

***Hello! Sean, thank you- I welcome all constructive suggestions and input.

I hope that I have properly conveyed our philosophy and priorities. As instructors and mentors, we have every intention of putting everything into perspective, including the relative importance of technology. As you say, the collaborative creative process, and the music itself, are most important. Great music badly recorded will always be great, and bad music wonderfully recorded will always be crap.

That said, a 57 will never be a 47, and it's important to learn and be able to hear the difference, and to know how and when to use them. I think that the gear that we have is part of what makes our program unique, and so that is one of the things we talk about as we spread the word. I understand the Maserati analogy, but also think that if one wants to be great at a technical art, it?s critical to experience what the best feels like- how good it can sound.

Our students will get to drive the Maserati, but we want to teach them to drive all the cars- they?ll do plenty of work on DAW?s, and limited projects: all 57?s, no more than eight tracks, no signal processing, etc.

The equipment at Blackbird is second to none, but what makes the studio great in my opinion is the uncompromising approach and the way all the elements fit: rooms, staff, gear, vibe, professionalism.

So, we will teach recording techniques and listening, along with the other things you list, and more. Business skills, communication skills, technical skills- and we will do our best to instill the proper philosophy, understanding of the bigger picture, demeanor and attitude. The opportunities for networking will certainly be great, both with our guests and contacts, and the peer network that forms. Another advantage is that we are only accepting highly motivated and qualified students, so that classes won't be encumbered with dead weight.

The cost/value ratio is debatable on a number of levels. What we offer is not available anywhere else, so it's hard to compare. The concentration of hands-on studio hours is high, and it's five students in a control room at a time. The program is intensive, and gets people out faster, and there's value in both. It is a unique opportunity to interact with and learn directly from a variety of people who record at a high level of excellence every day. There are certainly much more expensive programs, that don't offer as much. This school is not for everyone, and that is part of the point: it's an Academy. As I said, we only want serious and passionate people, and will give them an experience second to none- inspiring, complete and practical.

That is our mission, and as we constantly strive to accomplish it, we are happy to consider and factor all sincere input. You say: "while the things I learned in school were important, there's a lot of things that I've found important that got overlooked", and "There's a lot I wish had know before starting out in the real world in Nashville. I could go on." Please do, this is exactly what I am asking for. I really do appreciate your taking the time to express your thoughts and opinions.

Thank you.

-MR

Mark Rubel
The Blackbird Academy
Nashville, TN

mrubel@theblackbirdacademy.com

http://www.theblackbirdacademy.com/