Los Angeles, Seattle, or Portland?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Where would you live?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Seattle WA
55%
Portland OR
27%
Los Angeles CA
18%

Total votes: 11

Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

Los Angeles, Seattle, or Portland?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:49 pm

We're thinking of eventually moving away from Los Angeles.

So, these other two cities seem like good choices, Seattle, and Portland.

Pros/ Cons for each? Would you stay in LA?

My main income, is not recording, but I would like to continue making records with people.Which means I'd like a place with a decent musical scene.

Cheers
Realizing vibratory excursions from a paper widget.

Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Do you like the rain? I mean, really, really like the rain?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

AnalogAnxiety
audio school

Post by AnalogAnxiety » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Do you like the rain? I mean, really, really like the rain?
Seriously. We're talking overcast skies and rain for 8-9 months straight. Not even natives like myself are immune to the seasonal depression. Personally, if it wasn't for the fact that my parents are getting older and I might possibly have to deal with the things that go along with that, I would rather move back to Austin (where I was for 5 years) or some other warmer place (Memphis? Atlanta? New Orleans?).

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:45 am

I've been in portland the last 5 years and was in albuquerque the 5 years before that.
I do miss the sunshine, but not the heat and dry air.

Portland definitely has a thriving music scene, but also 1000 home studios. Of course, I guess that can be said of most any city these days.

Portland also has the feel of a smaller city. I like it. Not too big or sprawling and plenty of entertainment options and outdoors activities.

Personally, i enjoy hiking in the columbia river gorge. It's amazing.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:36 am

Why not San Francisco or Austin? Washington DC has a great amatuer/prosumer music scene, a thriving economy, and a huge tech sector (if that's your day job), but the weather and people kinda suck.

Never been to Portland but Seattle can be kinda weird. Downtown it can get a bit hippy-ish (in both the good and bad senses) and in the suburbs there can be a strange Microsoft and computer programming obsession and culture. But, there are lots of cool places, lots of cool people (a bit hipster/hippy, but nice), lots of great restaurants, and lots of culture. I don't like the rain much but Seattle is pretty when it rains so I never really minded it out there, but I didn't have to sit through 8 or 9 months of it since I've just visited several times. Also, coffee is pretty much everywhere all the time. If you never drink coffee you will feel awkward a bit.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:31 pm

You should stretch a little and not go to obvious places like Portlandia.

* Nashville
* New Orleans
* Twin Cities
* How about the other Portland (Maine)?

Maybe if you want to stay west, try something else like Bend.

Whaddya think?
"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." ~ Erica Jong

"No one wants advice ? only corroboration." ~ John Steinbeck

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Well I'm in Sacramento and not planning to move anytime soon (I'm bringing the first SSL to Sac as I type). But if I did, and it wasn't LA or SF (too expensive for me), then it'd probably be Seattle.

kslight
moves faders with mind

Post by kslight » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:28 pm

kayagum wrote:You should stretch a little and not go to obvious places like Portlandia.

* Nashville
* New Orleans
* Twin Cities
* How about the other Portland (Maine)?

Maybe if you want to stay west, try something else like Bend.

Whaddya think?
I lived in Saint Paul for a few years and it was a pretty cool place to live, as far as things to do and music scene goes. The winters didn't bug me because I was from Iowa...AND people in Minnesota know how to drive in it, AND Minnesota knows how to clear the roads efficiently.

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:52 pm

I've lived in Seattle for 10 years and I like it just fine. Tons of bands, cool culture, lots of outdoorsy activities that are readily accessible. Though Bend has always been intriguing...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Chicago. I'd never live in Los Angeles, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 pm

The twin cities might not be pleasant for someone used to southern california weather...

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:40 am

I lived in Portland for 4 years and loved it. But now I live in LA and I would probably not move back because of the weather. It is rough. And Seattle's weather is worse plus the traffic is a nightmare and the people have second-tier-city complex (similar to Napoleon complex).

What about Denver? Colorado has surprisingly great weather much of the time. I visited briefly and was mighty impressed. Just a thought.

Marwood Williams
pluggin' in mics

Post by Marwood Williams » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:59 pm

I've been in Seattle since the mid 1990s and still love living here. There's been a lot of growth here of late - which makes it more expensive to live. However, there's a lot of cool things to do here, whether it's cultural events or getting out in the great outdoors.

Portland is a great place too - It has a better public transportation system and as others have noted, it's got a excellent music scene.

If you don't mind some clouds and rain - and you have a laid back personality, you
will do fine in the Pacific Northwest.

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:31 pm

LA has a million cool neighborhoods and a million musicians. Some people cast judgment too soon on LA based on their minimal exposure to their surroundings.
Maybe explore LA and the surrounding cities a little more, However, the club scene is the worst I've seen in a long time.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:24 am

forget all those has-been towns. move to DETROIT. you could probably buy a whole neighborhood for a few thousand bucks. AND you could have jeff robinson be your intern!