Anyone know where I can mix an album around Boston?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Anyone know where I can mix an album around Boston?

Post by LupineSound » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Does anyone know of a studio around Boston that would allow a freelancer to rent the place for a few hours to finalize a mix? (Hopefully with reasonable rates.)

I have a mix about 80% done but would like to be able to use some nicer outboard gear (Distressors and compressors) and finish it off at a place with a better monitoring environment than what I currently have.

Thanks!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:35 pm

My immediate thought was Tom Scholz' house, but I'm a doosh like that. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:48 pm

There're a few joints. I'd say you should bring it here, but we're all-analog. We've brought in converter rigs in the past, or somtimes guys like to use their own converters. Rigging it into our console is pretty easy.

Othwrwise, there's Q Division, Zippah, Mad Oak ... I'll give a shout to my buddies at Sonelab, but they're in Western Mass.
get up with it

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

zippah

Post by supafuzz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 pm

I vote for zippah
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Post by LupineSound » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:32 am

Cool. Thanks, dudes!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:39 am

For whatever it's worth, I talked to a bunch of places around Boston a few years ago for a session I needed to do up there. Q Division and Wellspring fit the needs of the project, but the owner of Wellspring knew about the artist with whom I was working and gave us a really good deal. I also liked the fact that it was RADAR-equipped and the studio space was a little larger and more flexible. Plus they had not one, but two grand pianos from which to choose.

Anyway, Wellspring is VERY well-equipped and has a properly-functioning Neotek Elite console with a few cool modifications. The control room sounded pretty good and it was really easy to get a lot done there. It's not the cleanest studio in the world, but I wasn't worried about it. I wouldn't have any problem mixing something in there.

Also, I think most real commercial studios are happy to host freelance engineers who are qualified. I've been booking freelance sessions all over the eastern US for the last eleven years or so.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC