When do we get to the "good news" part??

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

When do we get to the "good news" part??

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm sure that everyone will have and share a variety of opinions on this (perhaps mirroring the spate of argumentative commentary posted after the article), but to my mind, this guy has encapsulated the current state of affairs with pinpoint accuracy. Welcome to the new and improved "music business." I had to share, as it's about as true as anything that's ever been true. But it's up to us to correct the course; no one else will do it for us...

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permali ... 09/25/lies

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:39 am

The good news is that people will get tired of being bombarded by crap music.

Then they will either seek out better music, or move on to other modes of
entertainment.

Now more than ever the songs have to be great. They have to connect with the audience.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 am

Read this yesterday, forgot to comment.

I think the writer makes very good points, consistent with what I've read, heard, experienced and surmised.

I found the comments approaching hilarious - I often can't believe people don't realize their slants, or in the alternative, understand how obviously they've become shills.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:06 am

Sadly see all the points, read the comments section...and this is why we can't have nice things as musicians, unless we are already independently wealthy. The cattle don't seem to understand that the only bands out there really making it are the ones that are heavily bankrolled by "evil" record labels. That while music is now free, the costs associated with producing a (professional quality) record have not gone away, let alone manufacturing, distribution, touring, etc...starving musicians are damned to just create an obscene amount of credit card debt on something that will not recoup, or give up.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:47 am

Yep. Totally agree with the article. I think the only viable future for someone independent in the music "biz" is as a reviewer.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:55 am

The Flaming Lips' manager is making a fortune operating what amounts to a "rock and roll" program at an accredited university here. He's realized that selling music to fans is a losing proposition. Now, he's just selling dreams and lies to musicians and making a ton of money. What a guy!