How I know I am now officially a bass player

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Cool! But new it's only US$50 or so cheaper then the Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI, eh?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:35 pm

vvv wrote:Cool! But new it's only US$50 or so cheaper then the Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI, eh?
Well considering I bought my Hellcat VI 5 years before there were any options besides a vintage Fender or overpriced used MIJ 1990s reissues on eBay?the Hellcat was a steal at $599 at the time, so this was not relevant to my purchasing decision. To be fair I added almost $200 worth of pickups, but it was a night and day difference.

The Pawn Shop VI retails for $799. I also feel confident that Schecter does Korean guitars in this price range better than Fender does in Mexico.

"Out of the box" against the Pawn Shop VI I greatly prefer the overall specs of the current Hellcat VI options. 12" radius, stop tail (essential if you don't want to pay $30 for a set of decent strings!), being setup for the proper gauge strings (no filing required), not having "reportedly" janky bridge (according to the VI user group, no personal experience with it), not having strange pickup configurations (bridge humbucker on a VI???). The current Hellcat VI also ships with Seymour Duncan Jaguar single coil pickups, which are a bit more "vintage correct." (the Hellcat VI I purchased years ago had 3 "duncan designed" minihumbuckers"?so the price went up (it used to only be $649 when the did this change?had no idea it went up to $749!).

If I was to buy it again today knowing there are more options (even a cheap Squier now), I'd still end up with the Schecter. I do prefer the look of the Fender VI to the Hellcat VI?but I don't buy guitars entirely for looks. And if I was to buy a Schecter VI today I probably would buy the Ultra VI and do the same pickup swap I did to my Hellcat.