Looking for a studio in Portland, May 30/31

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Looking for a studio in Portland, May 30/31

Post by NewAndImprov » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm looking for a studio that would let me bring a project in as a freelance engineer. The band is a jazz quartet (possibly quintet), no piano, just horns, acoustic bass and drums. An Iso booth for the bass would be great, working in Logic would be a bonus for me because that's my DAW of choice, and a U-87 or equivalent would be extra-awesome.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:35 am

Portland, OR? Well, you MUST check out Jackpot! (It's actually got an exclamation point at the end of the name.) It's owned by Tape Op's very own Larry Crane and is a great-loooking studio. And everything that I've heard coming out of there sounds fantastic. Several of my friends have done projects there as freelancers and they've all had wonderful things to say about that place. If I had reason to do a project in Portland, I'd not think twice about booking Jackpot!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 am

Yeah, Jackpot is already on my short list, just looking for options.

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tims96 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:09 pm

Jackpot! is rad for sure.

Another option is The Map Room. It's more affordable, and has a nice big live room with an iso booth, though it is a combined control room and live room. If you're comfortable working that way, it's excellent for live tracking.

Also check out Secret Society. Plenty of iso options, they have a U87, and the BBQ across the street is top notch!

And the folks that run each of those places are amazingly helpful. You can't go wrong in this town!

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 pm

I was pleased with the results www.typefoundrystudio.com gave me for a small job.
- EP "Built Some" released 12/13/13
http://willmomusic.com/