Someone tried to break in last night!!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

pandemic
pushin' record

Someone tried to break in last night!!

Post by pandemic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:57 am

Holy Smokes!!
So Monday I finished updating my equipment list and finally got everything insured. It's not much but it is everything of value that I own (besides a whitewater raft). As I was driving to the new space I rented, I thought "wouldn't it be funny if I got there and everything was gone....no. No, it wouldn't be funny at all". As I put the key in the lock I noticed a flake of wood in the jam and on further inspection I realized someone had tried to jimmy the lock. My tiny studio is located on a pretty busy road but is tucked away in back of a store.....kind of isolated and I really started thinking about my choice of locations. Granted it is all that I can afford but now I am sketched out...
So I have filed a police report, installed a steel cover over the door jam where the deadbolt locks and put in a chintzy motion sensor alarm. I have called the landlord to see if he will install (or let me install) a flood light outside and now I sit and wait.....
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 am

Sucks, man.

And insurance is costly.

But whether you have that or not (and if so be sure it'll actually cover like you want), do take video and pics of your equipment, list serial numbers, etc.

Don't bring sketchy characters around either.

OK, we are all sketchy - we are muso's - but try and avoid the junkies, anywhat.

G'luck.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:07 am

Thanks VVV. I haven't had anyone over yet as I am still working on acoustics....(How do I make 250 square feet sound like 2500?) so I am betting it is someone who came by whilst I was playing drums with the door open. Insurance is small potatoes compared to new gear so I don't mind.
The good news is that when I open the doors I may hold the record for worlds smallest commercial studio....
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:58 am

Pic's?

Gear list?

Address?

Hours space is unoccupied?

OK, not the last two ...
:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Here are some shots pre-acoustics. Corners are receiving 6" of trapping and there will be 6 6" 4x6 traps on the walls (3 per side). I am going to do the math for a QRD on the rear wall and the ceiling will have 2 clouds (1 over mix and 1 over drums). I'm trying not to be too anal about it. I am going to do the ol' build a little record...test....build a little more....record test. All I am looking for is a tight drum sound. I have a couple of small guitar amps that live in iso boxes and a modeler for guitar as well as bass. Being a 1 (tiny 1) room studio I will be limited as to what I can do but really, the room is for me. I have not had a place of my own since I sold the Voodoo Room and I really miss just being able to lock myself away and write. I'll post more pics as I get work done. I'm also going to write a little tutorial on the face-up racks. They cost about 25$ each and Lowes did most of the cutting...
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 pm

as far as gear goes....
I gave up on Pro Tools awhile back when I could not get an M-Powered system going for live recording. VR had PT but I used it more as a tape machine, mixing through the Cadac. Those days are long gone....
I picked up a Korg D32XD a few years ago and I really like it. It sounds great and other than editing, functions great too. I can fly tracks into the computer if I need to do heavy editing but I try not to....I used to get lost in the minutia of mixing and now I try to get it right whil I irecord....soo much easier.
The pre's on the Korg are very transparent and it will record 16 tracks with effects with no latency. The 8 on board microphone preamps are augmented with 8 Shure M267 mixerd modded for directs, a Bozak CMA 10-1 (in the process of modding for direct outs) and a Yamaha M206 (modded for 6 outs) The Yamaha is the worst......very 1 dimensional but perfect for flat drum sounds...
I don't have a bunch of other outboard save a DBX 165a and a 5 band stereo EQ (RSEQ Fame) for broad eq brush strokes...
I have a couple of Symetrix 501's and some DBX comps out on loan....those will come home when I am ready to open.
As far as mics go.....well it's pretty basic.
I have a bunch of KAM ST-2's which I use in place of 57's (I like em better)
A Bluebird and a Blueberry, AT 2035 and 3035, Peavey 520i, SM7b, 2 MXL 601s, EV 664, Superscope EC9P, some other random SDC's (KAM, Optimus etc), 2 CAD E-100's, MXL Ribbon (upgraded x-former and ribbon), MXL 2001P, Sub Kick, KAM kick mic that I've never even plugged in, ARMACO MD-8 and a box of old wonky dynamics....AKG D1000, Peavey PVM's etc..
Really nothing special.
For monitoring I use RSL 2600 mini-monitors with a 12" Sony sub, a pair of NS10's and a pair of KRK K-ROKS. I also have a set of Dynaco A25's at home that I reference on sometimes..
For power I have an Alesis RA100, A Yamaha P2100 (Amazing amp!) and an old Ross Mega Amp. That's about it....that and the guitar and bass and drum crap.
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Ver' 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks..Work in progress. I can't wait to just go in, sit down and hit record. It's been awhile.
Good Luck At Any Cost

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:00 pm

Sounds like a nice little space, hope the scare was just a one off.

my room (still, still in progress) is 255 sq ft/ 2900ish cubic ft, and i feel like it's pretty good on drums. deadened the hell out of the corner they're in with roxul panels and a helmholtz trap cattering the corner, then plenty of diffusion on the opposite walls. i'm sure a good acoustic guy would shake his head but,

those racks are sweet for such peso littles. do tell.
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:15 pm

floid, oh, floid ...

Pix?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:12 am

Get an alarm that has remote monitoring. Don't cut corners there or with insurance. Also, get air-conditioning and finish treating your space, so you don't have to play drums with the door open!!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:54 am

No doubt Greg. AC might be a problem but I am working it out. The space used to be a cooler that cheese was aged in.....I really wanted to call the studio the cheese box :) The walls are 2' thick, with heavy foam insulation and with the door closed there is 0 street noise. I have been airing the place out...it was kind of cheesy smelling when I got it and I scrubbed floors, walls and ceilings with bleach water so it is smelling kind of antiseptic right now so the doors need to be open as much as possible..
Monitored alarm is in the works although funds are tight right now. The landlord is installing flood lights today and the local police have been coming by...they stopped to ask who I was last night. which is good.

Floid, Those racks were really easy. The rack box is made out of 1 sheet of 12" paint grade panel from Lowes (12$). I had them do the cuts as my miter saw couldn't and I will post the exact measurements but I think the top and bottom are 20 and 1/4 (maybe 20 and an eighth). The sides were only measured to be even to give myself as much space inside (it came out to about 8 racks spaces I think). The base is made from 1x4x6 (5$). The legs can be as long as you want (creating more rack space below) but I kept them short for stability. I cut 45 degree angles on the top of each leg and then measured and marked a line 2" in from the bottom (back) of each racks edge. When I figured out where I wanted the legs (starting 2" from the lowest corner) and screwed the legs on. The horizontal feet are made from 1X battens (1.25" I think) that are at Lowes for 2$. These battens also form the rack rails. The bottom of the feet are tied together with leftover 1x4 (I added a batten in the back from some other project so you may need to buy one extra). This gives me a couple of rack spaces on the bottom for a heavy item to sit on (I keep my amps here). Remember to pre drill everything.....soft pine splits and glue whatever is necessary (I glued everything except the "rack rails" because I plan on replacing them with real rails in the future).

B.O.M
Paint grade panel 12" wide (6' long I think)
1x4x6 for legs and front leg support
1x2x6 for rack rail and feet
glue
1" coarse drywall screws
optional casters (got mine at the thrift shop)
sand paper
countersinking drill bit to pre-drill for screws

That's it.....I will take measurements tonight and do an actual post tomorrow.
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:54 am

No doubt Greg. AC might be a problem but I am working it out. The space used to be a cooler that cheese was aged in.....I really wanted to call the studio the cheese box :) The walls are 2' thick, with heavy foam insulation and with the door closed there is 0 street noise. I have been airing the place out...it was kind of cheesy smelling when I got it and I scrubbed floors, walls and ceilings with bleach water so it is smelling kind of antiseptic right now so the doors need to be open as much as possible..
Monitored alarm is in the works although funds are tight right now. The landlord is installing flood lights today and the local police have been coming by...they stopped to ask who I was last night. which is good.

Floid, Those racks were really easy. The rack box is made out of 1 sheet of 12" paint grade panel from Lowes (12$). I had them do the cuts as my miter saw couldn't and I will post the exact measurements but I think the top and bottom are 20 and 1/4 (maybe 20 and an eighth). The sides were only measured to be even to give myself as much space inside (it came out to about 8 racks spaces I think). The base is made from 1x4x6 (5$). The legs can be as long as you want (creating more rack space below) but I kept them short for stability. I cut 45 degree angles on the top of each leg and then measured and marked a line 2" in from the bottom (back) of each racks edge. When I figured out where I wanted the legs (starting 2" from the lowest corner) and screwed the legs on. The horizontal feet are made from 1X battens (1.25" I think) that are at Lowes for 2$. These battens also form the rack rails. The bottom of the feet are tied together with leftover 1x4 (I added a batten in the back from some other project so you may need to buy one extra). This gives me a couple of rack spaces on the bottom for a heavy item to sit on (I keep my amps here). Remember to pre drill everything.....soft pine splits and glue whatever is necessary (I glued everything except the "rack rails" because I plan on replacing them with real rails in the future).

B.O.M
Paint grade panel 12" wide (6' long I think)
1x4x6 for legs and front leg support
1x2x6 for rack rail and feet
glue
1" coarse drywall screws
optional casters (got mine at the thrift shop)
sand paper
countersinking drill bit to pre-drill for screws

That's it.....I will take measurements tonight and do an actual post tomorrow.
Good Luck At Any Cost

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:24 am

cool. can you post a pic of the side profile? good idea leaving a few ru's open below, that brings down the center of gravity.

i've been using sticks of 3/4 in. aluminum angle from lowes for my rails. there are 2 gauges available, get the heavier. metal panhead screws w/ rubber washers for mounting gear.

vvv, gotta get time to get to a real computer before i can post pics.
Village Idiot.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:30 am

Floid,
I'll snap a pic tonight.
Good Luck At Any Cost