Someone tried to break in last night!!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:43 am

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Nice job pandemic. Very cool on the racks, looking forward to more detail on those.

Your plan for the room setup and treatment strategies cover everything I'd do.... well done! Can't wait to hear some recordings from the treated, finished space. :-)

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Treated, finished, secured space...

GJ

Oh, PS-- Almost forgot; a few pretty simple and inexpensive security upgrades, in addition to your door-jam plates: If there's a door that you don't need as a regular entrance, go out and get four large "barn door" bolts... Like home deadbolts, but much larger. Put those on four areas (two high right and left, two low), with the receiving hardware on the doorframe, and they're not getting in there even if they have access to the hinges on the outside. Also, re: your entrance door, you can ask the landlord if you can put a pin in the doorframe that will slid into a hole in the door itself when it closes; nice extra fortifier if someone's trying to break in or kick the door down...
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:44 am

pandemic wrote: Insurance is small potatoes compared to new gear so I don't mind.
True. Liability, Theft, Disaster insurance is a must for anyone who has clients come onto the property .. or even if not. You can get in for around a minimum of $500 a year for the smaller policies. Small potatoes.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:19 pm

pandemic wrote:The space used to be a cooler that cheese was aged in.....I really wanted to call the studio the cheese box :)
There is (was? haven't talked to Fred in a while) a studio around here called Cheeseland.
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm

I call my bedio, "Feta Central D.D.L."
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:40 am

I finished the rear traps this weekend..2 down 2 to go......6" Roxul safe-n-sound on frames....all surfaces exposed. I need a better fabric....this stuff was cheap but too sheer..

Also picked up a Roland Super JX at the goodwill for 50$. The edit buttons are gidgy but the synth works fine. I have been messaging the buttons with a light solvent (looks like someone spilled a drink on them and they stuck) and if that doesn't work I'll open it up and see what's what. The JX came with a c64 memory card that I am selling on evilbay....I've already covered the cost of the keyboard. Horse-Tradin'

Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:44 am

Greg, I am pinning the door tonight. I bought the hardware and some epoxy. I am going to to put a pin at the top and bottom. So far there have not been anymore issues but you can't be too safe. I am still working on the motion sense floodlight.
Good Luck At Any Cost

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 am

pandemic wrote:6" Roxul safe-n-sound on frames....all surfaces exposed.
really nice job framing those things for maximum exposure. 1x3's?

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks SpaceEcho,

I followed this guys awesome DIY on youtube (link below). The rear of the trap is made of 1x2 nailed and glued together on edge. 6" risers were cut from 1x2 and glued/nailed along the perimeter (special pattern on that for the face to lay on) The 1x2's on the bottom leave an overhang for the insulation to rest on and I used landscape fabric as backing. When the insulation is cut and pressed in, a frame made out ripped 1x6 is glued/nailed on to hold the insulation in place. I added the cross members for additional support of the insulation when I flipped the boxes over to wrap them. I screwed this up a bit....the cross members are a bit crooked. I need to add a second layer of fabric down the road to hide the janky battens but all in all they look pretty good. The Roxul was 41$ for 12 batts and I used 2 packs to make 2 8' x 32" traps (8 batts per trap). I have enough batts for 1 more 6" trap or 2 more 3" panels from these bags of insulation. I chose this design so a majority of the insulation was exposed although I really like the way wood framed acoustic panels look.

http://youtu.be/fiJ6mI450c4
Good Luck At Any Cost

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:47 am

i like the way framed panels look too, but it just doesn't make sense to me to lose all that potential absorption.

do they have safe n sound at lowes? they have it at the depot now, which is good news for DIYers. that stuff is so cheap compared to 703, it's too bad it's considerably more of a pain to work with...

aren't you dying in there with no a/c?

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:06 am

It's not too bad but so far it's just been me fooling around and putting things together. Putting a full band in that cramped space will likely suck. The place is sol well insulated that even on a hot day it's pretty cool but adding bodies....well. There really is no way to add HVAC. I have a stand alone AC unit (noisy!!!!) but there is no place to vent it unless I cut a hole in the wall....likely not. I have been looking at some DIY swamp coolers that look interesting but honestly, I don't know how effective they would be. Could be quiet though, with a silent computer fan. As for now.........record a little....open the door and turn the fan on a little. It is really OK for me but probably not for a band. I'm on a month to month and am investing almost zero in the space (stuff that can't be moved) and definitely am keeping a weather eye out for a better space but honestly, this town is impossible/expensive.

bucket swamp cooler on youtube....cool a 150 square foot room?

http://youtu.be/HxSLbpAwibg

Yes, Lowes has safe-n-sound. They have the 16" batts (12 to a pack) 4' long and 41$ or so a bag. This made more sense than the cost/shipping/wait time for 703 but you are right....703 is easier to work with. I am happy with the traps and will be happier when I cover them better so I'm not reminded what a crappy carpenter I am every time I look at them..
Good Luck At Any Cost

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Cooler idea sounds interesting. Insulation is your friend; warm in winter and cool in summer with less bills for you, if you can find a way to regulate temperature that works for you. Those portable AC units work pretty well. We used them at our last location before moving and getting central air. One or two of those, plus a few fans, and turning them on and off as necessary like you described, worked fine. If there are absolutely no windows to vent the AC through, could you put a small "window" or vent type hole in the door somewhere (maybe up high like a transom)? Nothing that would compromise your security, but you wouldn't find too many people that can fit through a portable AC unit vent :lol: .

In winter, we used to save on heating bills by using a space heater in each room and doing the same thing-- on just long enough to warm it up, then off while practicing or recording (keeping the real thermostat set at between 60-65 almost all of the time). Worked pretty good, and I'm in Buffalo! (cold winters).

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:29 pm

The fact that this was a former cooler makes any extra holes a no-go unfortunately. My only option for a vent would be a hole in the (replaceable) door and some flexible vent pipe. It's honestly not that bad so far except on really hot days. I'm up in the mountains so are temps hover in the good zone most days. Winter will be easy....I have a small "buddy heater" that will work perfect. I worry about adding too much humidity to the room with a swamp cooler but I already have 3 damp-rid's hiding in the room. they should suck up most of it....
Good Luck At Any Cost

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:10 pm

pandemic wrote:r so I'm not reminded what a crappy carpenter I am every time I look at them..
welcome to my world.

how many walls do i need to build before my mud & tape jobs come out looking consistently good? apparently the answer is more than ten...